Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2019 Lacerte part-year resident returns have issues

Couls Law
Level 3

Our part-year resident returns are not coming out correctly in the 2019 program.  Are we alone???

Our input / coding is consistent with prior years.  We have been using Lacerte for 15+ years and this is the first year we have problems.  

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

If $6,000 of taxable distribution is all that your client had, the VAGI would be lower than the filing thresholds for VA return.  That's why no tax would be computed even though the return is generated.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILE IF YOU ARE:
Single and your VAGI is less than ..................$11,950
Married filing with your spouse
on the same return and your
combined VAGI is less than............................$23,900
Married filing separately (on separate
forms) and your VAGI is less than..................$11,950

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
7 Comments 7
itonewbie
Level 15

Haven't seen any report of that.  What problem are you having exactly?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

I echo Jensen; I'm not having any issues.

Exactly what is (is not...) happening; and what states are involved?

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
Couls Law
Level 3

Client is 75 years old with two 1099-R from pension and SS income, that's it.  She lived in NC from 1/1 - 10/31 and VA from 11/1 - 12/31.    We are allocating retirement income in screen #13.1 between the two States.  NC return is coming out correct but VA  is not.  Lacerte is showing VA taxable income = $6,000 which is correct and should generate $150 of tax.  Lacerte is showing $0 tax for VA and it will not generate VA tax estimates even though we are using override boxes in screen # 7.  Full year resident box is NOT checked in screen # 1.

0 Cheers
Couls Law
Level 3

Client is 75 years old with two 1099-R from pension and SS income, that's it.  She lived in NC from 1/1 - 10/31 and VA from 11/1 - 12/31.    We are allocating retirement income in screen #13.1 between the two States.  NC return is coming out correct but VA  is not.  Lacerte is showing VA taxable income = $6,000 which is correct and should generate $150 of tax.  Lacerte is showing $0 tax for VA and it will not generate VA tax estimates even though we are using override boxes in screen # 7.  Full year resident box is NOT checked in screen # 1.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Did you have the multi-state box checked and is 760PY generated for VA?

If so, are you happy with the allocations computed on VA Schedule of Income in Part I, Sch A and Part 2, which flow to 760PY?

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
Couls Law
Level 3

Yes, the multi-state box is checked in screen # 1.  This box is checked automatically by the program  (i.e., it's grayed out meaning I can't check or uncheck it).

And yes, the 760PY is generated for VA and I agree with all the figures including VA taxable income on line # 16, but line #17 of the 760PY is blank!  The VA income tax summary shows a marginal tax rate of 0.0%.  Last time I checked VA has income tax.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

If $6,000 of taxable distribution is all that your client had, the VAGI would be lower than the filing thresholds for VA return.  That's why no tax would be computed even though the return is generated.

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO FILE IF YOU ARE:
Single and your VAGI is less than ..................$11,950
Married filing with your spouse
on the same return and your
combined VAGI is less than............................$23,900
Married filing separately (on separate
forms) and your VAGI is less than..................$11,950

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers