Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1099R NY critical diagnostic

cpaathome
Level 1

Most of my clients are NY clients.  New this year, if someone did not take their RMD from retirement accounts, we now get a critical diagnostic that the "ny withholding can't be more than the distribution and the state will reject the return" even though no numbers were entered at all.  so you have to delete the input for the 1099R.  Potential problem next year as we may not think to look back 2 years to know that there is a 1099r form potentially missing if a client forgets to give it to us.  I have tried making the distribution "US" instead of NY source - can't do that;  I've tried putting -1 in the distribution amount boxes to indicate there was none - can't do that.  Has anyone found a work around for this so when we carry 2020 forward we know the IRA exists and to ask for the form?  Can it be filed with the critical diagnostic anyway?  I have no time to spend 2 hours on hold with lacerte to find out their official position on this  LOL

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
qbteachmt
Level 15

They did not take anything, so there is no 1099-R input and no reason to keep a 1099-R in that return. Don't you have client notes for the issue? It's a pretty big thing for everyone, for 2020.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers