Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prorate items after moving from US to canada

SOCAL Al
Level 2

Move to Canada mid year.  What needs to be prorated i.e. SS,, investment income etc.???

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

4 Comments 4
BobKamman
Level 15

US citizen? Resident alien?

SOCAL Al
Level 2

Current status is resident alien but maybe duel citizenship.  One is US and not Canadian as far as I know.  they have sole us home and plan to stay in Canada.  

0 Cheers
BobKamman
Level 15

US citizens and resident aliens are taxed on all their income, regardless of where they live.  They may qualify for foreign tax credit or exclusion of earned income (from your post, sounds like they're retired).  You might be able to pro-rate income for state tax purposes.  If they owe Canadian tax, they need to know how much in order to calculate foreign tax credit.  

SOCAL Al
Level 2

Discuss foreign tax credit and or exclusion to both taxing agencies.  US received all the 1099's, W-2" etc.  how to calculate.  What form does Canada use?  They moved in August so about half of earnings would be US and half Canadian as I see it.    

0 Cheers