Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Portland Oregon art tax credit

rootesrooter
Level 3

Portland, OR levies a $35 art tax which is supposed to be allowed to be credited against the OR income tax. I included it as an estimated payment on the OR income tax return per suggestions on other tax software sites, but the state denied the credit. Where is it supposed to be entered in Lacerte?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

1. I encountered this tax about five years ago. It provoked in me a brief inquiry into libertarianism. Second, you've done a lot of work for $35.  Tres. Go to the line you think it should appear on the OR-40 and do a right-click to find the input. IV.  There is nothing in the OR-40 instructions about the Portland Arts Tax.

View solution in original post

4 Comments 4

1. I encountered this tax about five years ago. It provoked in me a brief inquiry into libertarianism. Second, you've done a lot of work for $35.  Tres. Go to the line you think it should appear on the OR-40 and do a right-click to find the input. IV.  There is nothing in the OR-40 instructions about the Portland Arts Tax.

BobKamman
Level 15

That indeed is a weird tax, approved by 62% of voters as a ballot initiative but as we all know, who votes in city elections?  Is it just an urban tax legend that a credit for it can be claimed on the state income tax return?  A deduction, maybe. 

"urban tax legend" is clever.   

0 Cheers
rootesrooter
Level 3

Thank you. I had mis-read the OR instructions for another tax product, which said to enter it as an estimated tax payment to OR, which I thought would generate a credit against OR taxes. It was actually just additional state tax for possible 1040 itemized deductions.