Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partnership K-1s

JCOhio
Level 1

I have a partnership that rents real estate to a farmer.  Rental income and expenses are reported on form 8825 and appear on line 2 of the K-1s.  I believe this should be classified as passive income; however., the attachment to the K-1 says it is non passive.  I think this is an error, but I have not found a way to correct it.

2 Comments 2

You want to correct the K-1 prepared by some other firm?  What do you want to correct?

If you are sure of passive treatment, then you treat it that way on the 1040 and there is nothing else to do.  Is there?

pamdory
Level 8

If you're preparing the partnership return, there is a check box in the General Information section of the 8825 input screen to toggle between passive/non-passive.

However I agree with @Strongsilence-CPA  that the determination is really at the partner level.  If someone else prepared the 1065 & 8825 they may have a partner for whom the rental is non-passive because they are also the farmer and it could be self-rental.  

Or it could be wrong, but if you didn't prepare it then there is nothing you really need to do as long as the partner you're working with is treating it correctly on their 1040.