Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Other state tax credit and efiling attachments

ellenabel
Level 3
If you file a CA return and take a credit for taxes paid to GA.  Islacerte attaching the GA return to CA when you efile?
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

10 Comments 10
George4Tacks
Level 15

It has always been my experience (and assumption) that Lacerte does a good job at attachments for Schedule S. As a safety blanket, you can do the attachment yourself, just to be sure. 

The answer may lie here. Maybe @IntuitBettyJo or @IntuitAustin could make ALL these links work https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/other-state-tax-credit-faqs/00/5959 AND check on a true and correct answer to this common question

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
itonewbie
Level 15

For states that require a copy to be manually attached, you should get a prompt in the critical diagnostic (based on my experience with PTO, which uses the same tax logic as Lacerte).  As an example, since CO requires the other state's return to be manually attached, you will be prompted by a CD to do so.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have submitted this to our content team and will update you accordingly.

Cheers!

Betty Jo 

0 Cheers
ellenabel
Level 3

Per my discussion with lacerte today, lacerte does not automatically attach to the CA e-filed return the nonresident state return for the CA Schedule S.

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Just curious.  Did you get any diagnostic at all for attaching the GA return?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
ellenabel
Level 3

You only get a diagnostic if the return is not set up for e-file.  You get no diagnositic if the return is set-up for e-file.

itonewbie
Level 15

What this article explains is consistent with my experience with PTO, which essentially works the same way as Lacerte.  I tried preparing a CA return with Sch S but didn't get any diagnostic for manually attaching the other state's return.  That means PTO (and most likely Lacerte) will automatically transmit a copy of the other state's return to FTB.

Unfortunately, I can't locate a Lacrete version of the article (which often parallel those of PTO).  Hopefully, @IntuitBettyJo will come back with a definite answer for Lacerte soon.

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/e-filing-state-tax-returns-when-attachmen...

Still an AllStar
IntuitBettyJo
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi there, 

Our content team has updated the links.  I hope this clears things up. 

Cheers! 

Betty Jo 

0 Cheers
ellenabel
Level 3

What does it mean that the "content team has updated the links"?  Will the nonresident state returns now be automatically attached to the CA return when you e-file to substantiate the other state tax credit as required by the instructions for CA Schedule S?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@IntuitBettyJoNo, they haven't really.  See the link below.  Also, the OP is looking for a Lacerte article equivalent to the one I cited for PTO.  Can't find that anywhere still either.  Could you please follow up and update us here?  Thanks!

https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1858403-how-to-generate-california-schedule-s

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers