Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Oklahoma Use Tax / Individual Form 511

jclintelliott
Level 1

Clients recently began receiving letters indicating Sales/Use tax was reported and unpaid despite certification that none is due and no calculation of tax in Box 20. Nothing on the front end indicates tax due-client letter, voucher or tax return, but that amount was apparently added to the back end when e-filing. There's an override box to omit the tax but how on earth would you expect that to be necessary when every other indicator shows it's not being calculated?! My expectation now is that I'm going to have to respond to several hundred or more letters relating to this issue. That's a colossal time sink if that proves out. 

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Do you e-file from a different computer than you prepare returns from? Any chance the Options are set differently, with the preparation computer defaulting to no use tax, and the e-filing computer defaulting to use tax?

I'm hearing nothing about this from my OK CPA email lists, so I'm wondering if it's an issue specific to your setup.

(Also, as the person who e-files from my computer when other people prepare using different computers, options set differently are the bane of my existence. I always always check the payment amounts on the e-file screen against the client-signed authorizations because I have caught differences so many times.)

jclintelliott
Level 1

it's across all machines and preparers. What is filed with the state apparently includes an amount that doesn't appear anywhere else save maybe the final e-file diagnostic before you actually send it. Unfortunately, I don't typically cross reference those amounts at that juncture because it's been reviewed by us x 2, and by the client so we're just going through that bit on autopilot.  I've received more calls and letters today. This is likely be the straw that breaks the camel's back on Lacerte for me. 

0 Cheers