Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

office in home simplifed method

cl54
Level 1

Trying to figure out how to limit the simplified method as they were only in business 3 months out of the year anyone had this issue before?

Thank you

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
PKCPAMST
Level 5

In Rev. Proc. 2013-13, the IRS provides this guidance for a qualified business use of a home for a portion of the taxable year.

Step 1. Add 300 square feet for each month of business use.  (If business use area is less than 300 sq. ft., use that lower area.)

Step 2. Divide the sum from Step 1 by 12.

Step 3. Multiply the quotient from Step 2 by $5.

In Lacerte, go to Screen – Business Use of Home. In the Field, Business use area, enter the figure from Step 2, and in the Field 2=elect to use simplified method, enter 2.

cl54
Level 1

Yes I did that my question or problem is they didn't use the office all year due to covid they only used it 3 months of the year however I don't see anywhere in the system to prorate the months used on the simplified?

0 Cheers
PKCPAMST
Level 5

Following  Rev. Proc. 2013-13,

Step 1 - 300 sq. ft. x 3 months = 900.

Step 2 - 900/12=75 sq. ft. You will enter this in the Business use area.

Thus, the deduction will be limited to $375 for 3 months. This equals to one fourth of 300 x 5 =1,500 for 12 months.

qbteachmt
Level 15

Don't prorate the Use. Annualize it.

Example: 300 SF in use; 3 months of use

300 square feet multiplied by three months equal to 900 square feet total used that year. This is then divided by 12 months in the tax year for an average annual use of 75 square feet, and the total annual use of 75 square feet would then be multiplied by the $5 allowance for a $375 deduction.

Double-check your work:

300 sf * $5 per sf = $1500, and they used it .25 of a year = $375

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers
cl54
Level 1

Thank you!

0 Cheers