Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Nonemployee compensation on Form 1099-MISC

misskeiko
Level 4

Hello,

For nonemployee compensation on Form 1099-MISC, I usually put in other income subject to self-employment tax. Is it the same to put it in either Schedule C or other income subject to self-employment tax? Also, if the client have some business expenses for nonemployee compensation, are those expenses other miscellaneous deductions?

Thank you!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
qbteachmt
Level 15

"He is working as juvenile advocate. He is not running a business."

Yes he is; he is working for himself, as a Sole Proprietorship business, then.

"The client put the expenses(office supplies, printing expenses, software, laptop, conference expenses and etc) under other miscellaneous deductions in tax organizer."

You need to guide the person for what is Business Expense, what is Not (such as Asset purchase, is not Expense) and what is or is not expense when traveling (not meals, for instance).

Just because the Client fills in data, doesn't not guide you. The tax regulations guide you; you are hoping the client reveals things you need to know about, but they are not the Tax Expert. That is supposed to be you.

"The only income he received is the non-employee compensation on Form 1099 MISC."

Let's learn to Rephrase this: Your client makes money as an Independent Consultant, as an Advocate. The Advocacy program has 1099-Misc box 7 requirements to people to whom they paid $600 or more. That can be a one-time thing or someone who does this routinely.

"Should I put these expenses under other miscellaneous expenses?"

A person who did this as a one time thing has no business, so there are no business expenses.

A person who does this for a living has a business, so you need to know what is and is not a business expense. That computer might not be Expense; read on Fixed Assets tracking and depreciation provisions.

"I think these expenses are related to the income on Form 1099 MISC. But not sure how to deduct."

Have the person done this in the past year(s)? Look at their prior tax return; perhaps there is a Sched C = they are in business.

And it's time to find someone to mentor you, for you to work under.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.

View solution in original post

11 Comments 11
qbteachmt
Level 15

You and your client need to understand if this person is running a business or not.

Having a 1099-Misc doesn't define anything other than someone paid your client for Reportable reason and it hit a reportable minimum.

The facts and circumstances control the rest of the story. You haven't given any applicable info.

misskeiko
Level 4

Hi,

The client does not have a business.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

What did they do to be issued a 1099MISC?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
0 Cheers
misskeiko
Level 4

I think it's attorney services. I feel it is like independent contractor.

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

So that would go on a Sch C, like any other self employed person. 

They may not have "a" business, but if they are an independent contractor being compensated for services they performed they are "in" business and subject to SE taxes.

misskeiko
Level 4
Spoiler

Yes. My question is can i deduct the expenses for these non-employee compensation(like independent contractor) as well?

0 Cheers
Just-Lisa-Now-
Level 15
Level 15

On Sch C you would claim the income as well as any expenses incurred while doing the job they were hired to do.

qbteachmt
Level 15

"like independent contractor"

Why did someone pay them? What are these expenses? Do the facts indicate they are running a Business? Are they operating as an independent contractor, Factually? Not "Like" or "as if" but you should be able to answer, "Yes, that is what they are doing."

Can you make that statement?

misskeiko
Level 4

Hi,

He is working as juvenile advocate. He is not running a business. The client put the expenses(office supplies, printing expenses, software, laptop, conference expenses and etc) under other miscellaneous deductions in tax organizer. The only income he received is the non-employee compensation on Form 1099 MISC. Should I put these expenses under other miscellaneous expenses? I think these expenses are related to the income on Form 1099 MISC. But not sure how to deduct. 

Thank you for teaching me. I just graduated and started to work. I feel I have too many questions and a lot need to learn.

0 Cheers
qbteachmt
Level 15

"He is working as juvenile advocate. He is not running a business."

Yes he is; he is working for himself, as a Sole Proprietorship business, then.

"The client put the expenses(office supplies, printing expenses, software, laptop, conference expenses and etc) under other miscellaneous deductions in tax organizer."

You need to guide the person for what is Business Expense, what is Not (such as Asset purchase, is not Expense) and what is or is not expense when traveling (not meals, for instance).

Just because the Client fills in data, doesn't not guide you. The tax regulations guide you; you are hoping the client reveals things you need to know about, but they are not the Tax Expert. That is supposed to be you.

"The only income he received is the non-employee compensation on Form 1099 MISC."

Let's learn to Rephrase this: Your client makes money as an Independent Consultant, as an Advocate. The Advocacy program has 1099-Misc box 7 requirements to people to whom they paid $600 or more. That can be a one-time thing or someone who does this routinely.

"Should I put these expenses under other miscellaneous expenses?"

A person who did this as a one time thing has no business, so there are no business expenses.

A person who does this for a living has a business, so you need to know what is and is not a business expense. That computer might not be Expense; read on Fixed Assets tracking and depreciation provisions.

"I think these expenses are related to the income on Form 1099 MISC. But not sure how to deduct."

Have the person done this in the past year(s)? Look at their prior tax return; perhaps there is a Sched C = they are in business.

And it's time to find someone to mentor you, for you to work under.

misskeiko
Level 4

Thank you so much! It is very clear to me now.

0 Cheers