Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New York State Nonresident Filing for RDPs of a Community Property State

cory2
Level 1

Hello,

I have clients who are Registered Domestic Partner residents of CA, a community property state.   One partner has nonresident income in NYS.  For federal purposes, we file single returns splitting the community property income and expenses on each of their returns.  However, NY is not a community property state.  How do I report the federal amounts on the NY nonresident return?  If I use only the nonresident partner income, it will not match to the federal filing.  If I use the federal RDP filing, that would not be appropriate since NY is not a community property state?  Any thoughts are appreciated!

0 Cheers
1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

Here is my guess

Do the split, indicating that it is a community property split. BUT do not include NY in the set of return.

Copy the client. Reset to a Not community property, include as the only other return and do NOT do the split. 

I don't think I gave all the steps, but you will end up with two federal returns that should be identical, two CA MFS returns for the two individuals and One NY return for MFJ return 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns