Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Net Operating Loss Limitation

Carmen2
Level 1

I am preparing a return for a taxpayer who had a farm net operating loss generated in 2018, some of which will be carried back to 2016 and 2017 and then the balance carried forward to 2019.  Lacerte does not seem to be applying the 80% taxable income limitation.  Is there a different way to enter the nol or does something need to be marked to have the limitation applied?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

80% limit just got repealed for 2018-2020.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
sjrcpa
Level 15

Ex-AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

LOL...  so by NOT fixing it, Lacerte is now doing it correctly.

Why do I think I'm disappearing down a rabbit hole 🤣

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
rbynaker
Level 13

@sjrcpa wrote:

But didn't a 5-year carryback get plugged back in, retroactively to 2018?  My eyes glazed over with all of the "REIT year" and "965 year" stuff.  I'm glad I don't see these very often.

TaxGuyBill
Level 15

@rbynaker wrote:

But didn't a 5-year carryback get plugged back in, retroactively to 2018?  My eyes glazed over with all of the "REIT year" and "965 year" stuff.  I'm glad I don't see these very often.

Yep, retroactive to 2018.

I skip over the paragraphs when I see "REIT" and similar stuff like that, and try to find where it starts back into the 'real' stuff.   🙂

sjrcpa
Level 15

Yes 5 year carryback for 2018-2020 NOLs.

Ex-AllStar
Carmen2
Level 1

Thank you, I had not seen this repeal posted yet.

0 Cheers