Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Military Reserve Expenses

Anice
Level 1

Good morning,

I have a client that is in the Reserves and she has paid for several expenses out of pocket.  When I input the information on Form 2106 it is not flowing through to the Schedule 1 on Form 1040.  I am inputting it under Other Expenses and I have 1 (for all) on the Net Unreimbursed Travel Expenses on the form.  

I tried contacting Lacerte and I waited on hold for over a hour.  The representative had no idea what I was talking about.

Thank you. 

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
1 Reply 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

Screen 30, look at the entry right above Vehicle Information. Enter a 1 for Military Reservists - ...

Military Reservist: Net Unreimbursed Travel Expenses Included On This Form 2106 (1=All)

Employee Business ExpensesScreen 30; Code 134

If this Form 2106 is being filed for a military reservist who incurred travel expenses in connection with the performance of services as a reservist while more than 100 miles away from home, enter the amount of expenses incurred while traveling more than 100 miles away from home. If all of the expenses claimed on this Form 2106 were incurred while traveling more than 100 miles away from home, enter numeric 1. The amount of qualified reservist travel expenses carry to Form 1040, Schedule 1 as an adjustment to income. Any residual amount carries to Schedule A as an unreimbursed employee business expense subject to the 2% AGI limitation.

NOTE: The above-the-line deduction entered in this input field must be limited to the amount the federal government pays its employees for travel expenses. Refer to IRS Publication 3 ‘Armed Forces Tax Guide’ for more information.

----------------

Next time ask here before calling. We might not get to it right away, but we have some All-Star users on this site. 

ex-AllStar