Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Masking SS Numbers

dlmcferran
Level 3

My clients mail their signed form 8879 to me. I would like to generate these without social security numbers since they are going thru the mail.  How do I do that without a watermark?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't think you can

TP has to sign an accurate version. 

If you ever have to provide to IRS the SSN needs to be on it.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

I don't think you can

TP has to sign an accurate version. 

If you ever have to provide to IRS the SSN needs to be on it.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

This reminds me of an IRS intern training class I attended decades ago. The question was whether the government should spend millions to build a six-foot chainlink fence around multi-acre IRS service centers. The discussion was whether this would stop the "casual bomber" -- someone who would want to attack the facility, but leave when discouraged by the presence of the fence. 

The point was that the objective was not security.  It was just to create the appearance of security.  If there was a fence outside, maybe there were more protective devices once someone got past it. 

For IRS, masking is not to create security.  Otherwise they would allow it on the 8879.  They are just trying to create the appearance of security.  

itonewbie
Level 15

Agree with Susan.  You can't because F.8879 specifically requires an SSN (for the original copy to be signed anyway) and does not provide for the use of TTIN.  I suppose that's to ensure that all digits in the SSN are verified by the taxpayer.

Here's more on the final regs: https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2014/07/15/2014-16464/irs-truncated-taxpayer-identificatio...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar