Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MAPI failure after latest 2021 update

Drphibes
Level 7

After last update, Lacerte 2021 program can not e-mail a Lacerte client file, leads to a general MAPI failure and the program freezes up until the MAPI failure warning appears.  Was able to e-mail a 2021 Lacerte client file prior to the latest update.  The 2020, 2019, 2018 programs work correctly to generate and attach the Lacerte file to a Thunderbird e-mail.  I have web installed 2021 program 2x and still has the same problem.  Given the number of other critical errors others are currently experiencing and reporting in the forum, I think a bad 2021 update went out.  This issue is critical for me as I reside out of the country most of the year and need to e-mail Lacerte clients I have completed overseas to the main US office.  Any ideas on a fix?  Thanks in advance as always.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Drphibes
Level 7

Have found the problem. When the 2021 program installs, the shortcut that is created is assigning administrator properties to the shortcut/program.  If you right click the 2021 shortcut, click on Properties, click on Compatibility, in Settings look to see if the Run This Program as an Administrator box is checked.  If it is, uncheck this box, exit out of properties, click on the shortcut and enter the 2021 program.  Exit the program and the problem disappears.  Click on the shortcut again, enter the program and all runs correctly now.  Used 21websetup 3x and each time it kept assigning the administrator property to the 21 shortcut.  That was a fun one to diagnose!

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

I saw this thread the other day. I think it might help. https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/lacerte-tax-discussions/discussion/unable-to-e-mail-lacerte-...

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Drphibes
Level 7

George,  that was me.  Had updated Thunderbird from 32bit to 64bit and it turns out 32bit programs, which part of Lacerte really is, can't call through MAPI to 64bit programs.  Had to go back to 32bit Thunderbird where it worked just like it used to with the 2021 program until this last update.  As I said, 2020, 2019, 2018  etc... No problem creating an e-mail with the respective years Lacerte file attached right now.  It is specific to the last update in the 2021 program.  Thanks for the effort though, keep the good fight going!

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Curious George has not experienced any problem, so he just tried his 64 but T-Bird (not be confused with his '64 T-Bird)  with 2021 and it had no problem.

He then went back to 2018, 19 and 20 to see how the rubber met the road.  All years did donuts and laid rubber down the track. Maybe you should switch back to 64 bit and try out the updated elder programs.

I don't know if this had anything to do with it, but I use Thunderbird with gmail account and my test subject was sent to a gmail account.  

Drphibes
Level 7

Have found the problem. When the 2021 program installs, the shortcut that is created is assigning administrator properties to the shortcut/program.  If you right click the 2021 shortcut, click on Properties, click on Compatibility, in Settings look to see if the Run This Program as an Administrator box is checked.  If it is, uncheck this box, exit out of properties, click on the shortcut and enter the 2021 program.  Exit the program and the problem disappears.  Click on the shortcut again, enter the program and all runs correctly now.  Used 21websetup 3x and each time it kept assigning the administrator property to the 21 shortcut.  That was a fun one to diagnose!

George4Tacks
Level 15

It is amazing what we can amuse ourselves with - OUTSIDE OF TAX SEASON.

Good analysis. Collectively we beat the pants off of customer support.