Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Life Insurance Sale form 1099-LS and 1099-SB

adifusco
Level 2

Client was terminally ill in 2021 so she sold her life insurance.  She received a 1099-LS and 1099-SB.  There is an amount in Box 1 for both forms.  How do I account for this on form 1040?  A tax attorney told her the sale of the life insurance policy was not taxable due the terminal illness.  In 2022 she is still battling cancer.

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
BobKamman
Level 15

If it is not income, it doesn't belong on a tax return, and playing the game of "try to trick the IRS computer" is more likely to lead to an audit.  There is no indication that IRS is matching these forms to 1040's. The purpose of reporting is to track the profits of those who buy and sell contracts.  If it's a viatical settlement, it's excluded from income just as life insurance proceeds paid to a beneficiary of a decedent are excluded.  We don't add those in and back them out. 

If anything, attach a statement to the return noting the amount received and citing authority for its exclusion.   

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
Terry53029
Level 14
Level 14

Her Attorney is correct See (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-drop/n-18-41.pdf). I use ProSeries, so not sure how to handle in Lacerte. I would report as other income, and then back it out with reference to Notice 2018-41

BobKamman
Level 15

If it is not income, it doesn't belong on a tax return, and playing the game of "try to trick the IRS computer" is more likely to lead to an audit.  There is no indication that IRS is matching these forms to 1040's. The purpose of reporting is to track the profits of those who buy and sell contracts.  If it's a viatical settlement, it's excluded from income just as life insurance proceeds paid to a beneficiary of a decedent are excluded.  We don't add those in and back them out. 

If anything, attach a statement to the return noting the amount received and citing authority for its exclusion.   

adifusco
Level 2

Thank you for helping me

0 Cheers