Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lacerte to ProSeries. +/- ?

lovetaxes
Level 3

Confused. Using Lacerte since 1992. For cost want to evaluate ProConnect. 

Does the prior year data convert over? For 3 years prior? Is DMS available with ProConnect?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

I agree with Bill.  Although PTO has Lacerte under the hood, it has only a 1.5l engine and only a plain vanilla dashboard with few customizable options.  It looks like a Lacerte inside and out but won't drive like one or deliver the horsepower you're used to having.  

Because PTO has Lacerte as its engine, it's still a very capable tax product.  You should take it out for a spin for free; you can prepare and review returns online without needing any credit unless you print or e-file.  You can then decide whether it's sufficient for your needs.

Having said that, the rack rates (even with the early bird discount, which expires at the end of Jun) are much higher than previous years.  The increase makes PTO (which is not Lacerte) a much less compelling offer compared to other tax products.

Bear in mind also it may be difficult for you to migrate from PTO to other tax products in the future.  Intuit does not officially support data export from PTO although we've been told they could migrate data offline to Lacerte.  This means you may be able to purchase an REP license just for migration to other tax products.  And, of course, you loose access to your prior year returns and whatever you have in Link unless you have current year credits.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
itonewbie
Level 15
ProConnect Tax Online, ProSeries, or both?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Personally, I think you would be crazy to switch from Lacerte to ProSeries.  ProSeries is completely different entry than Lacerte, and if you want to go through that kind of crazy learning curve, I would recommend a non-Intuit product.

However, if you are interested in the fully web-based "ProConnect Tax Online", that is VERY similar to Lacerte, so it would be a much smaller learning curve.
0 Cheers
lovetaxes
Level 3
I'm old and perhaps get confused easily. I've downloaded for evaluation, the ProSeries product. I thought I was downloading the Tax Online ProConnect product. I've used Lacerte since 1992. I love it and DMS is essential for scanning my client's data. Presently preparing about 500 returns. Hope to downsize to about 400 in 2019 tax year. Price is IMPORTANT and an easy transition is VITAL. Appreciate any thoughts on how to proceed, the cost factor, and learning curve. I'm old! Need I say more?
Thanks for any and all assistance in settling this issue. I only have until June 5th to renew with Lacerte at at 15% discount.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
If you need easy transition and like Lacerte, ProConnect Tax Online (PTO) would be your most obvious choice.  With the new pricing scheme for PTO, even with discount for your volume, it may come close to what you pay for Lacerte and it would not be worth the trouble to switch.  Given your volume, you will need to speak with Intuit directly to get a quote for PTO.

PTO is an online product.  There is nothing to download and you must have access to the internet to get access to your returns.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

I agree with Bill.  Although PTO has Lacerte under the hood, it has only a 1.5l engine and only a plain vanilla dashboard with few customizable options.  It looks like a Lacerte inside and out but won't drive like one or deliver the horsepower you're used to having.  

Because PTO has Lacerte as its engine, it's still a very capable tax product.  You should take it out for a spin for free; you can prepare and review returns online without needing any credit unless you print or e-file.  You can then decide whether it's sufficient for your needs.

Having said that, the rack rates (even with the early bird discount, which expires at the end of Jun) are much higher than previous years.  The increase makes PTO (which is not Lacerte) a much less compelling offer compared to other tax products.

Bear in mind also it may be difficult for you to migrate from PTO to other tax products in the future.  Intuit does not officially support data export from PTO although we've been told they could migrate data offline to Lacerte.  This means you may be able to purchase an REP license just for migration to other tax products.  And, of course, you loose access to your prior year returns and whatever you have in Link unless you have current year credits.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers