Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is Turbo Tax calculating the NIIT differently than Lacerte?

sueann
Level 1

Client is using Turbo Tax and is wondering why Turbo Tax is calculating the NIIT differently than Lacerte. Client states it is a current version of Turbo Tax.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I'm sure client also states that they've carefully reviewed the return and that there are no errors on it. In fact, the only line item different between Lacerte and TurboTax is Line 17 on Form 8960. It must be that one software or the other is simply incapable of multiplying by 3.8%. Alas, it is beyond us to determine which one has multiplied correctly.

Assuming the Line 16 to Line 17 multiplication and the other worksheet basic math is actually correct, neither Lacerte nor TurboTax are calculating anything. They're taking whatever input they're given and plunking it on the lines the person doing the input told them to. Look at the 8960s and see which numbers are different. Then figure out why. 

FWIW, I verify on all of my returns via an Excel file that takes the numbers I expect to flow to the 8960 and runs them through the math of the form. My Excel file says that for every return I've done this year, Lacerte did the math right if I got the input right.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
4 Comments 4
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I'm sure client also states that they've carefully reviewed the return and that there are no errors on it. In fact, the only line item different between Lacerte and TurboTax is Line 17 on Form 8960. It must be that one software or the other is simply incapable of multiplying by 3.8%. Alas, it is beyond us to determine which one has multiplied correctly.

Assuming the Line 16 to Line 17 multiplication and the other worksheet basic math is actually correct, neither Lacerte nor TurboTax are calculating anything. They're taking whatever input they're given and plunking it on the lines the person doing the input told them to. Look at the 8960s and see which numbers are different. Then figure out why. 

FWIW, I verify on all of my returns via an Excel file that takes the numbers I expect to flow to the 8960 and runs them through the math of the form. My Excel file says that for every return I've done this year, Lacerte did the math right if I got the input right.

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15

Depending on the situation, TurboTax (and ProSeries) requires some manual adjustments for some NIIT situations.  Despite what Intuit advertises, TurboTax does NOT walk users through MANY situations, including some NIIT situations.

0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11
Lacerte requires some manual adjustments, too.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Because TurdoTax is wrong?  Because of GIGO?

I absolutely abhor *reviewing* a DIYer TurdoTax return and trying to explain the differences.  In fact, I refuse to do so anymore.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers