Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lacerte letter due dates

RoamingCPA
Level 3

Am on the most current version of Lacerte (just forced an update, just in case) of 2019.  Have 2 clients with balances due on the federal return.  One letter has the appropriate due date of 7/15/20, the other one still says 4/15/20.  I don't have any codes, overrides, etc in screen 5 regarding the letters.  Anyone got any idea why this would be this way, any suggestions besides going in and editing the letter myself?  I know how to do that but for the money I pay for this program, it should work...

In the one that has the 4/15/20 due date, the first state estimate due date is also wrong, it says 4/15/20, as a twist, the first federal estimate due date is correct at 7/15/20.  ARRGGGGHHHH

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

3 Comments 3
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Welcome to Lacerte Letter Frustration - you are not alone. 

Has either of these clients been submitted for e-File? If so when? Clients I have completed e-File for have one date, and clients waiting for submission will change based on Update. Completed client letter due dates will not change - at least not in my experience.

Once IRS stops spinning Wheel... Of... Due-Dates! Maybe @IntuitAustin and Lacerte will actually be able to catch-up...

Or in Forms, while viewing the Letter, Right-Click and use Jump To Input and Edit the Letter yourself to avoid pesky waiting. Careful it's a finicky Editor. (Not Organizer Questionnaire finicky but still watch your step.)

Oh and I would not make changes to the existing Letter when it asks you to Save Changes just print/PDF what you need and let the Default remain.

No matter what you do. Client will either completely ignore it, or hound you with impassioned cries for yet more hand-holding. Godspeed Preparer!

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
RoamingCPA
Level 3

Thanks for the response.  No neither return has been filed yet, they are both complete but I was doing a final review before sending to the client and saw this.

Yes I have been editing the letter but actually I'm not editing in Lacerte, its too much of a pain because if you change too much it messes up the formatting and then print preview it looks weird.  I've been editing in my PDF program.

Am hoping that the next release, rather than updates, fixes this issue.  

To be fair I think some of the other softwares are behind as well.  I do work for another CPA who uses Thomson Reuters and their instruction letters aren't correct either. 

This year is going to be a challenge in so many ways!

Stay well!

Fireman91
Level 2

We came across the issue with the client letter showing the incorrect due date. We realized that one of the accountants was putting April 15 instead of April 18 in the penalty calculation section. The letter follows the penalty date. (Payments & Penalties section 8). Hopefully this helps with at least part of the issue.

0 Cheers