Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lacerte Checklist

Tax1040
Level 2

The Intuit Link feature will create a Checklist specific to the client of documents for them to provide. How can I access/print this Checklist without sending a Link invite to clients?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
itonewbie
Level 15

To edit the questions, you can follow the instructions in this article: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-organizer/help/using-intuit-link-in-lacerte/00/5170

I don't believe the integration of Lacerte and Link is programmed to allow printing of the Checklist/Questionnaire in PDF (unlike ProConnect Tax, which has its own limitations).  You may, however, download these as a csv file from Link for Accountants, which you can then send to your client: https://link.intuit.com/accountant/login/#/signin

Personally, I think it's counter-intuitive to use the Link Checklist/Questionnaire with Lacerte when you have conventional proforma organizers available (which ProConnect Tax does not).

The Link Checklist/Questionnaire, IMHO, is oversimplified and is prone to generate more questions that you need to clarify along the way (for CYA and/or due d purposes) - unless, of course, you client has a very simple return.  The only advantage is that you can go back and forth on items in the Checklist/Questionnaire and that it enables you to import certain tax documents from Link.  Using a conventional proforma organizer doesn't have to mean that you have to abandon the use of Link altogether.  You can still use Link to supplement the proforma organizer, for example, to itemize documents your client needs to upload and by using that as a portal to track/correspond with your client for each piece of OSI.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Tax1040
Level 2

Thank you. We also prefer the conventional organizer.  But sometimes we need a one page list of the client specific W-2s, 1099s, K-1s, etc.  This is all in the organizer but not in a one page list format.  The Checklist is more of a list. 

I saw the csv files but you have to add the client to Link in order to generate.  We do not want to add clients to Link and send them an invite. Any ideas?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

I see where you're coming from.  However, adding a client to Link doesn't mean you will need to use Link with that particular client.  Until you invite them to Link and they accept that invitation (or for an existing client, send them the request for that year), only you will have access to what's in Link.

In practice, this would mean the following but one drawback is that it could make tracking status in Link a bit more confusing while the return is in WIP:

1. Use Lacerte to create the Checklist;
  2. Do not complete the process to send the invite; and
  3. Log into Link for Accountant to download the csv file (and convert to PDF, if you prefer) to send to client along with the proforma organize.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Tax1040
Level 2

That sounds great but I don't understand how to view their information in Link without sending an invite.  The Link website only shows the specific clients that have been invited.  The only way I know to add clients to Link is to invite them. Is there another way?

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

Now that I take a second look, you can't really bypass sending an invite to the client before generating the Checklist either from within Lacerte or directly in Link.  Sigh.

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
nsutton
Level 1

If client has already accepted invite (2019), how do you send them a checklist for 2020?

Nicholas

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@nsutton  You can refer to this article for step-by-step instructions:

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/tax-organizer/help/using-intuit-link-in-lacerte/00/5170

Still an AllStar
0 Cheers