Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lacerte carrying withholding from 592-B to line 11 of 1041

Leon033
Level 2

I'm preparing a complex trust (Special Needs Trust) return in the Fiduciary module. The trust was the beneficiary of another trust (Living Trust turned Irrevocable) that sold a property in CA. Withholding occurred on the sale, passed through to the Special Needs Trust via 592-B.

The issue I'm having is that Lacerte is carrying this withholding onto line 11 of the 1041. It is appearing on the 541 as a refund- yet Lacerte is trying to claim a deduction on 1041. Removing the value from the 592-B input screen eliminates the refund and deduction entries. 

As the sale was nontaxable due to Step-Up in basis, and the withholding is a pure refund, and the Special Needs Trust paid no state taxes, I don't believe this should be happening. Lacerte is not letting me override the value to show $0 in taxes paid.  Any Suggestions?

0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Leon033
Level 2

Resolved:

Entry of 1 on Screen 12, "do not deduct state tax payments on federal return"

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

Are you using -1 for your override, as opposed to -0-?

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
Leon033
Level 2

I did put in -1, but the issue there is that I'm getting an error stating that the input value needs to be between 1 and 999 million. I could override the other taxes box to be a negative figure for the full amount being deducted, but that generates a statement and is not very neat. 

I'm working in screen 31 of the fiduciary module by the way- it's the screen I'm brought to when I do the "jump to input" from the 1041 form view. Is there another screen that would let me override this?

0 Cheers
Leon033
Level 2

Resolved:

Entry of 1 on Screen 12, "do not deduct state tax payments on federal return"

0 Cheers