Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

K1, Box 17, Code K

WileyCPA
Level 2

Trying to enter K1 information from an S Corp on an individual return. Following a two step process listed as a solution from intuit community. When I enter step one I get a critical diagnostic saying recapture amounts from 4797 part IV should be entered in the input area for the form where the deduction was entered originally. How can I fix this? I have also entered step two, still the critical diagnostic.

Step One: Entering Section 179 Recapture:

1. Click the Detail tab
  2. Navigate to Screen 17 - Dispositions 
  3. Select the button for Carryovers/Misc
  4. Locate the section Form 4797
  5. Locate the subsection Recapture 50% or Less Business Use
  6. Enter the total amount of recapture in the Section 179 expense deduction field
    • This input flows to Form  4797 Page 2,  Part IV,  Line 33

Step Two: Entering recapture as ordinary income and linking it to Schedule  K-1:

1. Click the Detail tab
  2. Navigate to Screen 17 - Dispositions
  3. Enter the Property Description, Date Acquired, Date Sold, Sales PriceCost or Basis
  4. Scroll down to the section Form 4797 
  5. Enter "-1" in the field Depreciation allowed (-1 = none, triggers 4797)
  6. Scroll down to the Section Corresponding Activity Information - Passive (8582) / At-Risk (6198) / Investment Tax (8960) 
    • Note: In 2012 and earlier this section is titled Related Activity Information - Passive (8582) / At-Risk (6198)
  7. Select Schedule E (S corporation) from the Form Number of Related Activity drop down menu
  8. Select the name of the K-1 from the Activity Name or Number (Ctrl+T) drop down menu
  9. Check the box to Include in at-risk/basis limitations
  10. If the asset being disposed of was used in a passive activity, go to Passive Disposition
  11. Enter 3 in the field 1 = Complete Disposition, 2 = Partial, 3 = Separately stated on K-1      
    • This input reports the Section 179 recapture as ordinary income on Form 4797,  Page 1,  Schedule E, p2, and includes the recapture in basis calculations
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
George4Tacks
Level 15

"When I enter step one I get a critical diagnostic saying recapture amounts from 4797 part IV should be entered in the input area for the form where the deduction was entered originally. How can I fix this? I have also entered step two, still the critical diagnostic"

This is a Critical Diagnostic Warning - check the box and ignore it. Step one simply prints a number on the 4797. It does not do anything with that number. The warning is that you need to account for that number when you go to Step 2.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns