Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Individual foreign tax credit

lyleKS
Level 3

When entering dividends from 1099-DIV I used to enter "Various" in the field for name of foreign country when claiming a foreign tax credit.  That field now requires an actual country name, which generally isn't provided on 1099-DIV and isn't very practical when the foreign tax credit is small.  Any suggestions?  I realize I could just pick a country but am wondering what happened to the "various" choice.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kgreen8393
Level 5

Choose "Other Country" at the very bottom of the  Country list.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
kgreen8393
Level 5

Choose "Other Country" at the very bottom of the  Country list.

0 Cheers
lyleKS
Level 3

Of course!  Thanks, too many tax returns made me a bit blind to the obvious. 

0 Cheers
kgreen8393
Level 5

Doesn't help that they put Other Country at the bottom of the list versus the top, which would be much more helpful.

0 Cheers
PKCPAMST
Level 5

Here is another suggestion - bypass Form 1116.

If the foreign tax credit amount is no more than $300 for an individual ($600 for married filing jointly), and the entire amount of that individual's gross income from foreign sources consists of passive income, such as dividends, interest, etc., the taxpayer can claim the foreign tax credit on Line 1 of Schedule 3 of Form 1040 without filing a Form 1116.

In Lacerte, use Screen 38.2 Credits, Section Other Credits.

0 Cheers
lyleKS
Level 3

Thanks for the suggestion.  I didn't know this option even existed.  Most of my clients that have foreign tax credits are dealing with small amounts, typically < $50, so this would make things a lot easier and deal with fewer diagnostic messages.

0 Cheers