Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the fiduciary module, how do I select more than one type of trust (or entity)?

LucyK
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
George4Tacks
Level 15

Each return must be one of the nine choices in the dropdown in Screen 1, right below the preparer selection. 

Do you have a fiduciary that is more than one type? If you have an estate and a trust - each would (or should) have their own separate EIN and each would file a separate tax return unless the trust elects to be treated as an estate. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

Each return must be one of the nine choices in the dropdown in Screen 1, right below the preparer selection. 

Do you have a fiduciary that is more than one type? If you have an estate and a trust - each would (or should) have their own separate EIN and each would file a separate tax return unless the trust elects to be treated as an estate. 

0 Cheers
LucyK
Level 1
My client started out with a defective Grantor Trust and upon her Date  of Death, the grantor trust was terminated.  I need both Grantor Trust and Complex Trust checked.  Do I file two returns (Grantor being final) both with the same FEIN number or just paper file and manually check the box?
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
@sjrcpa or @abctax55 may have a more experienced answer but my guess is that you file as a complex trust, with a separate statement for the grantor portion of the trust income. You can make this statement as Statement in Screen 51.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
I don't have time to research this but George's answer sounds good.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I agree with George/Susan.  Sounds like two returns are needed.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers