Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In Lacerte can a refund on a 2019 amended return be direct deposited?

I am E-filing a new client's 2019 amended return that I did not prepare.   If I choose efile and enter direct deposit information I receive a critical error that states amended 2019 return can not be direct deposit....ugh really????      Yet I can efile the return.   Am I doing something wrong?      Really a mailed check will take forever!!!   I did prepare and file this client's 2020 return by 4/15/2021 with no issues and in reviewing the 2019 return found a very large error thus the amended return.    The client did not want to use the originally preparer to amend this return, with good reason of course! 

Thanks for your help!

Susan

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
Swaldrep
Level 2

The IRS will not direct deposit an amended return refund, that's the reason behind the critical diagnostic. The e-filing for the amended returns just started a couple years ago, so that's a plus, hopefully get processed quicker than a mailed-in return. 

Karl
Level 8
Level 8

Nope, can't direct deposit on an amended return.  I agree, annoying, but that's what we've got for now.  The check itself actually shouldn't delay it that much, the wait time for processing the amended return is what will take a long time...even when e-filed.  I always tell these clients 1) not to watch the mailbox, 2) the gov't is a great bank and pays nice interest, BUT 3) that interest is taxable in the year received, so upload a copy of the check before cashing it (because I don't trust them to recognize and keep and give me the 1099-INT next Jan).

*If this (or another answer/reply) solves your problem, please click "Accept as Solution" to get this post out of the "Unanswered" queue of posts.*
michele
Level 7

I try to up front and honest and tell them it could be 6 months or more before they see a check. In todays climate it could be even longer than that.