Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the "credit for other dependents " calculated correctly? The software is allowing it for dependents who lived in Mexico. Is there way to suppress the credit?

protaxcorp
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

There used to be a useful toggle until last year for "Dependent with ITIN (for CTC)".  For some strange reason, Intuit doesn't find it helpful to re-purpose this toggle and removed it altogether.

There are still toggles on Screen 2 to suppress EIC and CTC but choosing to suppress CTC will have no impact on the partial credit of $500 (you would think otherwise, right?).

That leaves you one option, which is to call on our all POWERFUL "-1" and enter that on Screen 38.2 under "Child tax credit and other dependent credit (Form 1040, line 12)" as an override.  Voila, the problem is gone 😜

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
26 Comments 26
itonewbie
Level 15

There used to be a useful toggle until last year for "Dependent with ITIN (for CTC)".  For some strange reason, Intuit doesn't find it helpful to re-purpose this toggle and removed it altogether.

There are still toggles on Screen 2 to suppress EIC and CTC but choosing to suppress CTC will have no impact on the partial credit of $500 (you would think otherwise, right?).

That leaves you one option, which is to call on our all POWERFUL "-1" and enter that on Screen 38.2 under "Child tax credit and other dependent credit (Form 1040, line 12)" as an override.  Voila, the problem is gone 😜

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
BTW, the assumption is that the dependent is not a citizen, national, or LPR of the US.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
For what it is worth  "stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye" between two :'s  is the new 😜
https://www.webfx.com/tools/emoji-cheat-sheet/ :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Now, we can find all the elusive emoji only Jeff knew about :grin::grin:
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
poolcleaner
Level 9
:imp::imp:
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
Obi-wan, if the client does have child tax credit for other dependents, the -1 wouldn't work. You would need to put the correct amount in there.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Oh, these emoji's are the bombay!!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@mojocpa Totally agree.  I should have highlighted that to be clear.  Somehow, I got the idea that there is no CTC to be claimed for this family at all and we're just focusing on the partial credit and CA dependent exemption credit.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13

There should be a box on the info worksheet for "not qualifying child or non US". That should eliminate that $500 credit. 

0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
The OP is using Lacerte, so I'm not sure if it is the same or not, but hopefully they have a similar entry.
0 Cheers
protaxcorp
Level 1
There is no such box.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Im sorry @protaxcorp . Honestly, I assumed Lacerte was somewhat similar to PS. There is a box within PS which will allow us to suppress this credit.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I guess I deserved the non helpful vote.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
No..you didn't.  IMHO.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
:clap: Thanks!!! :kissing_heart::clap: :kissing_heart:
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Well maybe there should be a box.  Bad engineering by Lacerte shouldn't cause not helpful votes here :wink::wink:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
Jeff, bad engineering?  No.  Because Lacerte and PTO are engineer with something no one else has... not your everyday, ordinary, run-of-the-mill 0, right, not just any override but the all powerful -1!
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
I do agree is being helpful and doesn't deserve a no vote!
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
On a scale of 1 to 10, I would have to give the concept of a -1 equals zero a -1.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7

Just off the top of my head, I am in compilation mode now, but if there is no dependency exemption for them now and no credit for other dependents, why would you need them on the return? As a stopgap, you could suppress the Child Tax credit in Screen 2. 

0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
I asked the same thing....could be for HOH, medical expenses, or state issues. Maybe more but those came off the top of my head.
0 Cheers
protaxcorp
Level 1
I still want to claim the exemption because I am in CA and this state still allows the dependent exemption credit.  These dependents don't qualify for child tax credit anyways so suppressing that doesn't help.
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
@George4Tacks @abctax55  any suggestions, I stay away from CA tax as far all possible
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
I realize it is not the perfect answer but you can override the federal credit in screen 38.2.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@protaxcorp Follow my response to your question. It'll get the result you're looking for.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers