Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Partership basis limitaton in a partnership

yastrab
Level 1
I prepare a return for Partnership ABC. This partnership has two partners John and Mary who each contribute 1 million dollars. Subsequently Partnership ABC contributes $100,000 to Partnership XYZ. I am preparing the return for ABC and it recived a K1 from XYZ that has a loss of $120,000 in excess of the basis (100,000) that ABC contriibuted. There is no debt basis. How do I (should I?) limit the loss on partnership ABC because it only invested in 100,000 in XYZ.
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think you can only do this manually. Enter in Lacerte the loss allowed by basis limitations. Outside of Lacerte, keep a worksheet showing loss in excess of basis and enter it next year or whenever there is basis.

Ex-AllStar

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
sjrcpa
Level 15

I think you can only do this manually. Enter in Lacerte the loss allowed by basis limitations. Outside of Lacerte, keep a worksheet showing loss in excess of basis and enter it next year or whenever there is basis.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
That's what I do....a bit of a pain
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxMonkey
Level 8

I would take a moment to understand WHY they are allocated a loss in excess of their basis.  99% of the situations I have seen are the result of an error.

0 Cheers