Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I understand that practitioners who e-file must have a tracking number to be able to e-file. How do you obtain this number?

klpontiff
Level 1

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TAXOH
Level 11

It's called an EFIN and you get it from the IRS. 

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
IntuitAlicia
Employee
Employee
Maybe it's an ETIN you're running across.  If so, that's the Transmitters number.  When sending an e-file to the IRS through a software program, that program acts as the Transmitter.
0 Cheers
TAXOH
Level 11

It's called an EFIN and you get it from the IRS. 

0 Cheers
AshleyatIntuit
Employee
Employee
IRS issues "tracking numbers" on your efin documentation (Application Summary) which may be what you're referring to, but TAXOH is correct, the EFIN is your main concern.  
0 Cheers
klpontiff
Level 1
I have already have an EFIN number, but I am told that for the 2018 filing season, a "tracking number" will be required by IRS to be able to e-file.
0 Cheers
garman22
Level 13
Level 13
Have you searched IRS website re: this "tracking number"? An EFIN is what one needs to efile which you state you already have. You are not talking about a "submission id #" are you?
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

I think the e-file also records the MachineID which is specific to the computer the file is generated from. This is not new for 2018. Whatever it is, I am sure we all have one so that IRS can chase down all the bad guys that are filing fraudulent returns. I you are one of the good guys, don't worry about it. 

Each return used to have DCN (Document Control Number) a few years ago that became the Submission ID. https://www.irs.gov/e-file-providers/ero-duties-after-submitting-the-return-to-the-irs

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers