Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will a C Corporation extension for 2017 fiscal year return due January 15th, 2019 be transmitted to the IRS by the due date?

MattG
Level 2

With the release from Intuit that business MeF will not start transmitting until January 22nd, 2019, I am unclear if the extension will be sent timely or if I need to paper file an extension.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitAlicia
Employee
Employee

Let me do my best to help clear things up around e-file:

2015 and all prior year e-file

• closed, these returns must be paper filed

• Business TBA (an in-product alert will be posted once we go live)
  • Individual January 28

• Individual January 28

• Business January 22
  • Individual January 28

Business e-file returns transmitted via 2017 and 2016 Lacerte will not be turned away instead, they will be held until e-file re-opens for TY16 and TY17 filings. The IRS business e-file opened January 8, 2019.  An in-product alert will be posted once business e-file goes live in-product.  All acknowledgments will be updated at this time.

2017 E-file Information: https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1636159&src=lsccom

2018 E-file Information: https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1782931&src=lsccom

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
30 Comments 30
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Did I miss something?  Where did you get January 22nd from?

The last I heard, they started yesterday.
https://accountants-community.intuit.com/announcements/1790216
0 Cheers
MattG
Level 2
The Alert in the 2018 program indicates that IRS opened 1/8/2019 but Business efiling by Intuit will commence on 1/22/2019.  I didn't see the prior year filing indication and no acceptance notices received yet.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
@TaxGuyBill  :+1:
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Interesting.  ProSeries does not have that alert (yet).  That link I gave you says ProSeries too.

I wonder if Lacerte is waiting for a while but ProSeries is sending them?  Or maybe ProSeries is just late for getting the change.   🙂

EDIT:  Now that I think about it, the 22nd may apply to 2018 tax returns, but the 8th applies to older tax returns.
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
Here is the FAQ from Lacerte:
Can I e-file Prior Year Business Returns?
You can e-file the current year and two prior years for Business returns (after the IRS opens e-file for the current tax season).

Business Filing Example: When the IRS opens the Business e-file servers for TY18 in early 2019, you will be able to e-file 2017 and 2016 Tax Returns. Once the IRS opens the Individual e-file servers for TY18, Lacerte will open both TY18 Business and Individual e-file.  If a return is submitted after its applicable due date, it will be considered late.  Once the IRS shuts down the MeF system in November 2019 for Individual returns, 2016 tax returns can no longer be transmitted.  

Looks like IRS will accept old returns starting yesterday but Lacerte is waiting until the 2018 year filing date. You would think that there would be a simple Lacerte switch to turn on to be able to e-file the business returns now....
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
Here is the chart on opening dates
                                                                                                         IRS Open Date   Intuit ProConnect Lacerte Open Date
Filing Season Opens for Modernized e-file Business Returns         January 8, 2019       January 22, 2019
Filing Season Opens for Modernized e-file Individual Returns       January 28, 2019       January 28, 2019
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
:clap:
Looks like Mr. Yote was correct - paper it should be.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
Interesting.  So the announcement for ProSeries says "January 8th for business returns. We will be once again be transmitting prior year business returns at this time".

Does that mean you can e-file them with ProSeries, but not with Lacerte?
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
Intuit has to admit the above FAQ is clear as mud. Maybe @IntuitAlicia can get the scoop from the big dogs?
0 Cheers
Bobby200
Level 3
FWIW, I called Lacerte yesterday, 1/9/2019, about a FY2017 January 15 due date e-file that was not sent to the IRS.  The gentleman told me it will be sent to the IRS on January 16, 2019.  The January 8 date is not accurate as a reopen date anymore.
Additional info***My e-file was sent and received by the IRS today, 1/10/2019.
0 Cheers
IntuitAlicia
Employee
Employee

Let me do my best to help clear things up around e-file:

2015 and all prior year e-file

• closed, these returns must be paper filed

• Individual January 28

• Individual January 28

• Business January 22
  • Individual January 28

Business e-file returns transmitted via 2017 and 2016 Lacerte will not be turned away instead, they will be held until e-file re-opens for TY16 and TY17 filings. The IRS business e-file opened January 8, 2019.  An in-product alert will be posted once business e-file goes live in-product.  All acknowledgments will be updated at this time.

2017 E-file Information: https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1636159&src=lsccom

2018 E-file Information: https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1782931&src=lsccom

0 Cheers
IntuitAlicia
Employee
Employee
2017 and 2016 Business e-file is now live.
0 Cheers
mojocpa
Level 7
Someone must have found the switch..
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
They just jiggled the cord.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Me...I just slap *it* hard, on the side.  It works with my computers (sometimes...)
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15

When in doubt, paper file.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Who's the jerk handing out the no vote for a perfectly valid answer?
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
The first time that has ever happened here :smirk::smirk:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
TBD at the Town Hall meeting?
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
If we have enough time.  First on the agenda is that big raise that we haven't received for how many years :wink::wink:

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Whadda ya' mean ?!? - I've been getting a 10% raise *every* year, plus incentives/bonuses depending on how many yes votes I get.  I *do* get dinged for the no votes tho, that's why they bother me so much.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Then I might have to quit this job.  I hear there are going to be a lot of job openings over at TSA so maybe I'll have to dust off the old resume.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
You won't qualify.  Didn't you hear the news that TSA is going to switch to dogs with soft fuffy ears instead of pointy ones?  The pointy ones scare the kids.
(I'm talking real life ears, not the silly one in your avatar :wink: )
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
Looks like I'm stuck here then.

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Bummer - despite my continual raises, I'm guessing TSA pays more.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15

Sorry Matt, for hijacking your thread.  

We seem to be a bit punchy today.

( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
MattG
Level 2
I may have been the one to start off the punchiness, I unintentionally clicked the No and that started the comments.  I am sorry for the No, but a little of the levity in the rest of the comments are appreciated.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
You're forgiven...and you can go change it if you want to.  I'd consider efiling the extension AND doing a paper one just as a test & a CYA.
And no way you started our punchiness - it pops up on a regular basis.  Search for "troll party" if you have nothing else to do, or just need a break.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
MattG
Level 2
I tried to change it, but not sure if it "took".  I appreciate the suggestions - I have e-filed and am mailing a 7004.
0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Even if it confuses them...you've done your CYA steps.
Don't worry about the no vote; it's mainly just an issue the AllStars (well, maybe mainly me) have with Intuit treating this place as a social media platform instead of a forum for true tax professionals.
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers