Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have a 1065 PTP K-1 flowing into a 1040. Box 20AD shows a QBI PTP loss. Per 1.199A-3(c)(3)(ii), shouldn't the QBI loss be suspended until the ord inc is released?

arin
Level 2

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Yes. But the QBI loss, like the PTP loss, is suspended at the 1040 level, not the 1065 level.

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
9 Comments 9
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Yes. But the QBI loss, like the PTP loss, is suspended at the 1040 level, not the 1065 level.

0 Cheers
arin
Level 2
Agreed, but Lacerte isn't suspending it.  I called and they told me Lacerte is correct, which seems at odds with the Regs.  Do I just need to track this seperately and override the Lacerte input?
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Yes keep track separately and override Lacerte.

Ex-AllStar
0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11
Enter the PTP as a separate K-1.
0 Cheers
arin
Level 2
How would entering it seperately work?  I see how that works for ordinary suspended losses, but my PTP loss gets entered in line 20AD and isn't getting suspended like the ordinary income is.  In fact, when I enter a seperate PTP K-1, Lacerte isn't netting out the income due to suspension like it does with non-PTP losses.
0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11
20AD is the PTP *QBI* loss. The PTP loss that goes into the income calculation is entirely separate. Your K-1 should disclose the PTP portion of the K-1 income and deduction items separately. So if Box 1 is $500, made up of a $50 PTP loss and $550 of non-PTP income, you enter them as if they were two different K-1s.

You may need to request additional information from the K-1 issuer, if they don't have the PTP separately stated.
0 Cheers
arin
Level 2
Yes, that makes sense for the income.  My question is about suspending QBI PTP loss.  My understanding of the regs is that you won't recognize the QBI PTP loss until the associated ordinary loss is also recognized.  I'm trying to figure out if Lacerte will suspend/track that or if I have to do that manually off-line and then only enter into 20AD the portion that should be recognized for QBI purposes.
0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11
Ah, I see what you're saying - even entering it separately, Lacerte is allowing the PTP QBI loss and suspending the PTP ordinary loss. (And if you have an overall loss, there's not even a worksheet, worthless Lacerte.)

Yeah, Lacerte is doing it wrong. You have to override. Sorry!
0 Cheers
arin
Level 2
Thank you for looking at this.  It's very helpful to have confirmation that I'm interpreting the K-1  and QBI rules correctly.  Good luck with the rest of tax season!
0 Cheers