Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I have 2 teachers and I have always been able to deduct $250 each in Lacerte for 8 years. This year (2019) only one deduction shows.

Highlighted

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
13 Replies 13
Highlighted
Level 2

It still works if you put $250 in each column - taxpayer and spouse.

Highlighted

It’s not working. Same clients, same input for 8 years and this year it only shows $250 not $500.

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Try updating Lacerte to make sure you're running the latest release?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Highlighted

I did the most recent update. Can someone try and see if it works for you? I hate to have to call support!

thank you

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

Someone complained about this not working in PTO (which is driven by the Lacerte engine) but it is, indeed, working.  See this thread for the discussion: https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/proconnect-tax-online-discussions/discussion/re-educator-exp...

If it's still not working for you, sending the return to Support is probably your best bet.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
Highlighted
Level 15
I just tried it and it did work. Like Taxorama, I am working on a joint return and made entries in both the taxpayer and the spouse column.
I am on Version 40.0213

ex-AllStar
Highlighted

Thanks for trying! I just messed with again and it is the taxpayer's $250  that isn't flowing through. It's the same clients and same deductions for last 8 years, so strange.  I guess I have to call support ...ugh!

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Make sure the W-2's are not both tagged as Spouse W-2. Both TPs must have income.

ex-AllStar
Highlighted

I checked that. These are the same clients that populate year after year and same basic info, nothing different for 2019. 

Thank you!

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15
Before spending time on the phone, try running 2019 Lacerte Web Setup to reinstall the update. Even better use the FORCE install.
https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/help-articles/help/how-to-perform-a-force-install-of-lacerte...

ex-AllStar
Highlighted

I will try that. 

Thank you

0 Cheers
Highlighted

I forced the update and it still didn't work. I will just call support.

Thanks for the replys!

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 2

Did you get it resolved?

I am all of a sudden having this issue!

I have another client with both spouses as educators and it worked fine!

All latest updates processed.

Wages correctly show one W-2 for each.

Oddly enough, if I change it to married filing separately, the taxpayer's deduction appears. When jointly, it disappears.

0 Cheers