Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IRS has released Form 1040-SR. It's a joke. I don't see anywhere within Settings/Options to suppress it. and force Form 1040. Am I missing it?

hrrisoncpa
Level 3

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
itonewbie
Level 15

IMHO, the IRS has its reasons for producing 1040-SR, not for tax pros but for self-prepared returns of elderly folks.  I wouldn't fault them for trying.

To suppress 1040-SR, try Screen 3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar

View solution in original post

14 Comments 14
itonewbie
Level 15

IMHO, the IRS has its reasons for producing 1040-SR, not for tax pros but for self-prepared returns of elderly folks.  I wouldn't fault them for trying.

To suppress 1040-SR, try Screen 3.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
jerry
Level 5
I can check the box on Screen 3, but it has no effect - Lacerte still produces the 1040-SR as the default for a senior (and it's not ready yet).  

And how can I disable the 1040-SR for ALL clients?  I don't want it.  I don't see anything in Settings.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@IntuitAustin Could you please help look into this since I don't have 2019 Lacerte installed yet?  But I can confirm that this is working fine with PTO.  Thanks!

@jerry PTO shares the same tax logic with Lacerte.  It is unusual that this is a problem in Lacerte when it works fine in PTO.  Hopefully, Austin will give you an update soon.  To change the default settings, click on the menu bar for Settings > Options, click on the "Tax Return" tab of the popup, then scroll down or select "Federal Tax Options" under Section on the left.
Still an AllStar
jerry
Level 5
Yes, that's where I first looked for an option to disable 1040-SR - in Settings > Options > Tax Return.  There's nothing there for 1040-SR.
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
This is an early release.  I'd give them until early/mid-Jan to roll out a more polished version.
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
Crap - @itonewbie just called me elderly. I did a prelim of my return and got the 1040SR.
@jerry be patient. I am sure the software will break something so that we can disable the 1040 for the elderly.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
@George4Tacks Lol, that's not called elderly, that's being wise in years. :smile:
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
I like ol' FART!  That I can live up to.

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
I   F :heart:  T
Recent vanity plate I saw.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15
:joy::joy:
Still an AllStar
0 Cheers
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni
We should see the option to suppress the form coming sooner to e-file go-live in January. A lot of the tax content updates haven't been implemented in the program yet while we wait for final guidance from the IRS

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
0 Cheers
hrrisoncpa
Level 3
As the person posing the question initially, I can report that the first response was correct.  There currently is no ability to suppress the 1040-SR for ALL clients, but you can do it individually using Screen 3, immediately under the line for Tax Filing Envelope Size.
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

It should be visible now with today's update. 

0 Cheers
abctax55
Level 15
Good job, George.  I didn't bother to look, as filing a return of any type is a long way off for me, after many many updates come.
"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
0 Cheers