Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to force Sch SE?

Highlighted
Level 1
need to generate schedule SE although it is not required
Labels (1)
0 Cheers
8 Replies 8
Highlighted
Level 15
Let’s start with - what are you attempting to accomplish?

ex-AllStar, ex-Lutefisk taste taster, ex-ACME product tester
and ex marks the spot where those rocks and anvils hit me.
Highlighted
Level 1

IRS send a letter saying we probably owe SE tax and asking for the schedule.

Highlighted
Level 15

So you are a DIYer?
I suggest seeking professional assistance. If you used TurboTax.. don't they offer audit assistance?

Former Chump... umm.... AllStar.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

@dimat68 wrote:

IRS send a letter saying we probably owe SE tax and asking for the schedule.

Did you get a 1099MISC and reported the income as Other Income, rather than self employment income?

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Highlighted
Level 15
That'd be a good guess, IMHO.
If a post answers your question, click on *Accept as solution* for future searches
Highlighted
Level 15

You can go to Forms, then print the page.  It'll only populate with the client info unless there are numbers flowing from somewhere to generate SE tax.

I'm with Jeff tho - why?  Is this a lender request?  If so, then tell the idiotic underwriter NO !

Highlighted
Level 15
Level 15

@dimat68  if you used Turbotax you can go here and they will help you with that IRS notice

https://support.turbotax.intuit.com/irs-notice/audit-support/

♪♫•*¨*•.¸¸♥Lisa♥¸¸.•*¨*•♫♪
Highlighted
Level 8

I remember a client receiving a notice like that when there had been an other income entry on Line 21 for executor fees.  We had to explain that this was a first and last time as an executor and not the client's business.  The IRS responded that that was a sufficient explanation but I have been very careful to expand on the information on Line 21 after that experience.