Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to enter WI part year resident info

JackW
Level 3

I have a client who lived a few months as an IL resident and moved to WI as a part time resident in 2020.  I cannot figure out how to allocate to WI the WI income.  I believe it is a form 1NPR.   The federal column is populated but I cannot figure out how to input the WI portion. IL allows me to force the IL numbers on the part year IL form but I cannot figure out how to do this for WI.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Comment 1
PKCPAMST
Level 5

JackW,

Facts: Your client was a resident of WI on December 31, 2020 after having moved there from IL  during 2020.

Here are the steps:

1. On Screen 1, - Client Information, in Resident State as of 12/31 enter WI, uncheck Full Year Resident. Under Returns on the left, add IL.
  2. Go to Screen 55 – Part-Yr./Nonresident Information.
  3. Select Illinois from the left navigation panel. Complete Illinois beginning and ending dates of residency, and the fields below Resident of Other State.
  4. Select Wisconsin from the left navigation panel and complete the Part-Year Residence fields.
  5. When entering dollar amounts, enter them in the respective states. You will hit Control-E to open up the state fields.

When you calculate the return, you should have (1) Illinois Form IL-1040 and Sch NR; and (2) Wisconsin Form 1NPR. Basically, each state will tax the income sourced within that state.

Please let me know if this helps.

PK