Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How much is the qualified business deduction for a single person. I have a single self employed person, and when I enter her income on Lacerte, the deduction is only 10%

cowboys15
Level 1

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IRonMaN
Level 15

There are some factors to consider other than just the bottom line of a schedule C.  Doesn't Lacerte provide a worksheet as to how the number is calculated?

ACME Taxes, Tatoos, Tires and Turtles (I've expanded my line of products to better serve you)

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
10 Replies 10
IRonMaN
Level 15

There are some factors to consider other than just the bottom line of a schedule C.  Doesn't Lacerte provide a worksheet as to how the number is calculated?

ACME Taxes, Tatoos, Tires and Turtles (I've expanded my line of products to better serve you)

View solution in original post

0 Cheers
cowboys15
Level 1
Yes, The worksheet shows Business income, minus 1/2 SE tax, then gives net total for QBI.  The amount shown is only 10% of the QBI.  I thought it was 20%
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
What kind of income level are we talking?  Does she have other income?  Providing some numbers here might be helpful.
0 Cheers
cowboys15
Level 1
No other income.  Just sch C income.
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
I think you might have missed the part where I said providing some numbers might be helpful :smile::smile:
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
The 20% deduction is on the LOWER of (1) QBI and (2) "taxable income" (after adjusting for capital gains).
0 Cheers
rbynaker
Level 11
Is your QBID equal to your TI divided by 4?
0 Cheers
cowboys15
Level 1
Sch C income $38310, less 2707 1/2 SE tax, AGI $30755, less itemized $15634.  Here are the numbers.  
0 Cheers
IRonMaN
Level 15
See Bill's post about taxable income.
0 Cheers
TaxGuyBill
Level 15
With "taxable income" of $15,121 (AGI  minus Itemized), that would result in a $3024 deduction.
0 Cheers