Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you save your information in Lacerte

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
6 Comments 6
PhoebeRoberts
Level 10
Level 10

It saves semi-automatically.

Under Settings, Options, Setup, Numeric Detail Input you can set the Automatic Detail Save frequency, but even if it's disabled, exiting Lacerte normally or viewing Forms will save. 

I personally have it set to save every minute (as often as possible), and when I've had a crash, I generally have lost minimal input. The downside is if you totally screw something up (over-zealous deleting, anyone?), you can't go to Detail, Abandon Changes and undo it unless you notice really quickly.

sjrcpa
Level 15

In Options, Setup, set Automatic Detail Save.

abctax55
Level 15

What the other girls say....

I will comment that setting it to save every minute *MAY* slow the system down, depending on your set-up.

And I'm really glad I don't have "premature delete" issues 😉

#StandWithUkraine
PhoebeRoberts
Level 10
Level 10

One of my carryover notes for one of my clients has a detailed list of proforma'd things that should be deleted (prior-year IDCs from pass-throughs because I calculate excess IDCs at the entity level, state source passive carryovers for AMT because none of the states involved have a state-level AMT), which things shouldn't be deleted (state-source passive carryovers for regular tax), and how to get the amounts to key back in when you delete the wrong thing.

I find the automatic error checking (those little red !s in the Detail screens) slows my computer way down, but I've never noticed a significant lag due to auto-save.

abctax55
Level 15

@PhoebeRoberts 

I use a NAS, and Lacerte's performance when using it (and they do NOT support it) has slowed substantially in the last two years.

I've tried playing with the auto-save, and with the error notification (red dots) as well as not showing appointments on the display.  They all seem to help.  

#StandWithUkraine
sjrcpa
Level 15

I also use Save every minute, having learned a hard lesson years ago. I don't notice performance issues. Anna, I think you said you use a NAS. That process of saving may be what slows you down.