Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you code cancellation of debt from a passive K-1 activity as passive in Lacerte?

I have a partnership K-1 that has a passive loss carryover that is an entirely passive activity that generated cancellation of debt income that is deemed to be from a passive activity.  How do you code this in Lacerte so that it offsets the passive loss carryover? The input for cancellation of debt for the K-1 is on screen 20.1 line 11E which correctly carries to Other Income Line on Schedule 1, but doesn't impact the 8582 nor generate a release of the passive losses carried over on Sch. E.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Personally? I run it through Separately Stated Income and Deductions as a passive item. I'm unaware of any good method for adjusting the 8582 for things like this or other less-common situations.

If I were feeling particularly unhappy with not having the amount on Schedule 1 / former Line 21, I might be inclined to enter it both places, then back it out with a kludgy workaround, or just disclose the presentation on Form 8082.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Personally? I run it through Separately Stated Income and Deductions as a passive item. I'm unaware of any good method for adjusting the 8582 for things like this or other less-common situations.

If I were feeling particularly unhappy with not having the amount on Schedule 1 / former Line 21, I might be inclined to enter it both places, then back it out with a kludgy workaround, or just disclose the presentation on Form 8082.

sjrcpa
Level 15

I do what Phoebe does.

Ex-AllStar

Thank you Phoebe!  You are faster than Support help as I am still on hold with them.  Have a blessed day Phoebe!

Thank you!  Have a blessed day srjcpa!

sjrcpa
Level 15

You are likely to get better answers faster by coming here.

Ex-AllStar