Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I import a Lacerte client file received from another preparer?

TaxMom12
Level 3

I've selected import client file from the client drop down but when I browse out to where i've stored the Lacerte file provided, it doesn't acknowledge any file is there.  There are several folders in this file I received but nothing is a TC7 file.  Did I not receive the proper file data?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni
Send this article to the other tax preparer so he can send you the file properly
https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1606787-e-mailing-a-lacerte-client-file-to-another...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"

View solution in original post

6 Comments 6
IntuitAustin
Intuit Alumni
Send this article to the other tax preparer so he can send you the file properly
https://accountants-community.intuit.com/articles/1606787-e-mailing-a-lacerte-client-file-to-another...

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Accept as solution"
George4Tacks
Level 15

Just double click on the file *.tc7 and you will be asked Open with and the default will be Lacerte Tax for Windows  Click OK. If Lacerte is not open with will open and, open or not, you will possibly be asked for a password OR if you want to add a password at this time. The client will be put into the Lacerte client listing. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

Just double click on the file *.tc7 and you will be asked Open with and the default will be Lacerte Tax for Windows  Click OK. If Lacerte is not open with will open and, open or not, you will possibly be asked for a password OR if you want to add a password at this time. The client will be put into the Lacerte client listing. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
TaxMom12
Level 3
Thank you for the reply George4Tacks.  Unfortunately, the file I received has no tc7 file types.  There are folders and DBF and MDX File types.  
0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15
Did you try Restore? If this also doesn't work then it sounds like you did not receive data in the correct format.

Ex-AllStar
TaxMom12
Level 3
I've tried the restore option as well.  It gives me an error that states there is no individual detail.  I guess you're right.  I didn't get the format I'm in need of.  Thank you for your reply!