Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I enter a W-2 GU

gb0248
Level 2

Is a W-2 GU entered as a W-2?  Is it other income?

There is a reconciliation form 5074 that the software does not support.  I'm assuming I just do this as an attachment for information purposes only?

The Phone support was worthless.

Any CORRECT guidance would be greatly appreciated.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

6 Comments 6
George4Tacks
Level 15

Is this the only income?

https://www.everycrsreport.com/reports/RL32708.html#:~:text=Typically%2C%20the%20United%20States%20t...

Have you looked at the instructions for the 5074? 

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-access/f5074_accessible.pdf

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
gb0248
Level 2

My issue is Not manually completing an unsupported form by inputting 2 line items and attaching it to the program to reconcile wages.

My client has 160,000 in Federal wages between 3 W-2's one of which is a W-2 GU.

He has wages paid to Guam

He has Income Tax Withheld to Guam

He has Social Security and Medicare Withheld

I am ASSUMING I enter this as a normal W-2 would be entered and that is is the question I am asking.

The worthless 800 number cannot even give a yes or no answer on this.

Guam has its own tax return also not supported by Lacerte, and because of COVID is not even available on their department of revenue website.  They tell you with all questions contact the US IRS.

I ASSUME the social security and medicare were remitted to the US and his contributions will constitute an overpayment which would only happen if my ASSUMPTION that I enter this as a normal W-2 is in fact correct.   

0 Cheers
nenaccountants
Level 2

I have this same situation, was there a resolution? 

0 Cheers
gb0248
Level 2

Yes, The Intuit community was not a very helpful resource.

Enter the W-2GU as you would a normal W-2.   It has Federal, Social Security and Medicare just like a traditional W-2.

Fill out a 5074 and attach it using the PDF attachment button in the program.  This will reconcile the  Guam tax withheld to the Federal Tax withheld.  You do not need to file a Guam tax return.

Pennsylvania allows you to use the tax paid to Guam to offset PA taxable income.  I was in touch with senior directors in the department and confirmed this in writing.  No PA tax was withheld but I needed to attach the W-2 GU and 5074 so that the tax was not assessed to Pennsylvania.

Pennsylvania also has a local tax.  If there is tax assessed over and above the PA liability, this can be applied to the be a credit against the local tax liability if a balance is due.  As my client worked for a company with no presence in Pennsylvania and did not comply with ACT 32, my client got the local tax of over $1,000 covered by having worked in Guam.

nenaccountants
Level 2

@gb0248 Thank you very much! 

qbteachmt
Level 15

"Yes, The Intuit community was not a very helpful resource."

Yes it was, because you just made it so. That's the point of Peer User Community.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.
0 Cheers