Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fraudulent Preparer

Preparer* listed fictitious deductions** on 2021 tax returns resulting in about $7K in refunds.   I advised them of the requirement to amend.  I said that they didn't have to let me know of their decision.

Taxpayers said they "have always been happy with refunds" and they didn't understand a few things on the return but didn't ask about them.  As a result, I'm reminded to carefully review the entire return with my clients.

*A loss on 4797 was fictitious.  He didn't provide them with the 4797.  RE taxes and charitable contributions were overstated. So, I think that he was completely aware that the deductions he listed would be difficult to detect.   

*Preparer. I know his name.  I don't know if he is a CPA or EA.  The copy he gave the client didn't list a PTIN and was not signed.

0 Cheers
2 Comments 2
IRonMaN
Level 15

"*Preparer. I know his name.  I don't know if he is a CPA or EA.  The copy he gave the client didn't list a PTIN and was not signed."

Just fly under the radar and make clients happy by preparing bogus returns.  My blood boils when I see that kind of crap.  You can't blow the whistle on your client and you don't know who else he has prepared returns for so you can't do a lot to seek revenge with the IRS ----------- even though it would feel so good to do so.

Slava Ukraini!
qbteachmt
Level 15

"The copy he gave the client didn't list a PTIN and was not signed."

We have a CPA in town like that. He will stamp "Prepared with info provided by client" on the client's file copies of the returns, even though I guarantee that the client didn't request their payment to themselves from their S Corp activities should be filed as Sole Proprietorship income with the S Corp taking it as expense.

The worst person in class who can pass the test still gets to be certified.

"Level Up" is a gaming function, not a real life function.