Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8889 in Lacerte

mkreatz
Level 1

I am trying to enter line 3 for a MFJ couple, and I cannot figure out how to get the 7,100 down to the amount its supposed to be at. They are family coverage and they each have their own form. Is there a specific box that I need to put the total in or are there a couple to use?

0 Cheers
3 Comments 3
George4Tacks
Level 15

https://proconnect.intuit.com/community/form-1099/help/form-8889-health-savings-accounts-hsas-faqs/0...

Form 8889 Line 6 Taxpayer and Spouse have separate HSAs and Family Coverage

Form 8889, Line 6 is automatically generating 50/50 between taxpayer and spouse that have separate HSAs and Family Coverage. How do I allocate a different amount on Line 6 if the Taxpayer and Spouse's contributions were not 50/50?

1. Go to Screen 32, HSA/MSA/LTC Contracts (1099-SA, 5498-SA)
  2. Enter a 2 in Type of Coverage for Taxpayer and Spouse
  3. Enter the amount of contributions in HSA Contributions that you made (press F1) (1 = maximum) for Taxpayer and Spouse
  4. Enter the same amount in Allocable share of limitation (8889, line 6)[O]  Taxpayer and Spouse.

This entry will override Form 8889, Line 6 for both Taxpayer and Spouse and remove any additional tax on excess contributions to HSA (Form 5329).

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
mkreatz
Level 1

That didn't work I'm trying to get line 3 to be $6,213 rather than $7,100. Line 6 is populating correctly. 

0 Cheers
DarthDan
Level 1

Getting erroneous excess contributions on lines 47 & 48 of the 5329 of $1,400 on both lines.  Total contributions were $7,271 for  family coverage but one spouse contributed $5,000 and the other $2,271.  We directed the client to w/d the actual excess of $71 before due date.  Looks like I need to override excess contributions for this scenario if there is no fix.

0 Cheers