Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 8839 Adoption credit

Highlighted
Level 1

I have a credit carryover from 2015, when child was 17.  Client has taken some credit each year and still has some left for 2019.  The form demands a birthdate for the child (1997) or I get a critical diagnostic.  But when I put it in, I get another critical diagnosis because he is (now) over 18.  Are they going to have to file paper return?

Labels (1)
0 Cheers
3 Replies 3
Highlighted
Level 15

Screen 37 > Select the child from the drop down to filling in the name, ssn and dob. ONLY

Then click General Information and enter the amount of REMAINING 2015 carryover,

You will get the following informational diagnostics, but the return should be good to go.

Capture.JPG

ex-AllStar
Highlighted
Level 1

I had already done exactly what you suggested.  In addition to the informational diagnostic, which can be ignored, I am still getting a critical diagnostic that the "child" is over 18 (now), even though I have put the carryover in 2015 and he was 17 (then).

0 Cheers
Highlighted
Level 15

I believe that the diagnostic will NOT stop e-filing, since it is a carryover. If it does not e-file, then highlight the return and use E-File > e-file support tools > disable e-file Error... Then do the e-file.

ex-AllStar