Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 706

dblankstein
Level 2

On page 4 of Form 706, how do I activate  in Lacerte Section C- DSUE amount portable to the Surviving Spouse?

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
George4Tacks
Level 15

In forms view, find the box and RIGHT CLICK on it and select "Jump to Input". That works on almost every form in Lacerte. It will land you where you want to be (usually)

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
dblankstein
Level 2

Right clicking does not work on this field. Thanks. David

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Is the spouse set up as a beneficiary? And in that screen is Surviving Spouse marked?

If yes to both it should automatically calculate. 

You have to fiddle to not elect DSUE.

Ex-AllStar
George4Tacks
Level 15

Do you have a form 8971 for each beneficiary? Did you allocate the assets to the surviving spouse correctly? That is done on each asset, either by indicating the beneficiary OR using a ratio # set up in Screen 34.

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
dblankstein
Level 2

Thank you. Your recommendation has helped get me closer to what is required.

Though, I still am having problems with showing the amount of unused DSUE being transferred to the spouse. Is this shown as a negative amount in the input box for the amount transferred? Though, a negative number does not make sense . A positive number increases the amount available that can be transferred, which is incorrect.

This area of the 706 form needs better support/instructions from Lacerte.

Thanks,

David

dblankstein
Level 2

I am filing the Form 706 solely to elect portability. I have not done any work on Form 8971 yet. Will this solve my problem?  Thanks,  David

0 Cheers
cpa123456789
Level 1

I have the same problem as dblankstein. I have allocated the assets to the surviving spouse on form 8971. However, form 706 page 4 line 10 is giving the surviving spouse the full DSUE credit of 11,580,000. Not sure what the next step is. 

0 Cheers