Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Form 1099-R Mandated Close of Corporate Pension

lovetaxes
Level 3

Does the 10% Penalty on Early Withdrawal still apply if the Corporation mandated withdrawal of ALL pension funds for all employees? The fund was 100% paid for by the Corporation.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
lovetaxes
Level 3

Many thanks IRonMaN, Ironically, I had another client already that is using Form 8915-E and spreading out the tax over 3 years. I believe I can use the same technique but pay the tax in 2020. As long as this takes the 10% penalty away everyone should be happy.

Very much appreciate your very quick response. Have a great tax season and a long vacation this summer.

Bob

lovetaxes

View solution in original post

3 Comments 3
IRonMaN
Level 15

They could have rolled it over.  But then again, if it was COVID related you might be exempt from the penalty.  Forms 5329 and 8915E could be your friends.

Slava Ukraini!
lovetaxes
Level 3

Many thanks IRonMaN, Ironically, I had another client already that is using Form 8915-E and spreading out the tax over 3 years. I believe I can use the same technique but pay the tax in 2020. As long as this takes the 10% penalty away everyone should be happy.

Very much appreciate your very quick response. Have a great tax season and a long vacation this summer.

Bob

lovetaxes

IRonMaN
Level 15

You betcha!

Slava Ukraini!
0 Cheers