Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extended Payment Due Date

Renee49
Level 2

Why is the default client letter changing the Payment due date to the extended due date of the return. The extension is an extension of time to file and not of time to pay. Shouldn't the payment due date still be the original due date and not the extended due date. Has the program always done this, and we are just noticing it now?

5 Comments 5
George4Tacks
Level 15

You can make some adjustments to get things to be right. You can even have the system compute penalties and interest up to a specific date, but you can not control when the client will send the return, or when they will pay. I always just give them verbal warnings that they will be billed for any extra P&I after the agency gets the returns. 

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers
Renee49
Level 2

When you say you can make adjustments - this is on the individual return - correct?  I was hoping that there was something that would indicate to pay ASAP for all returns filed after the original due date.  I guess I just never noticed it before.  Thank you for your response.

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

In any return, in the Notes section you can add an opening or closing paragraph for the client letter. You could put the message there. 

Add notes to a tax return

1. Click the Detail tab.

2. At the Contents tab, click the Notes screen.

3. To create a new note, select the type of note under Print As, and then click Add.

To edit an existing note, click the note in the list on the left.

1. Click the Spell Check button to check the spelling of the note.

NOTES:
If you add a note for Letter Misc 1 and Misc 2, you can format the font and alignment of the note text using the toolbar at the top of the note.

Use the font lists and the buttons on the toolbar to format the notes.

See Also: Adding Notes to Input Fields / Adding Notes to a Client or the Tax Program / Print notes for a tax return / Delete notes from a tax return

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15

In the 1040 you can find this:

Capture.JPG

I have not check the other modules, but I think it may also be there

Mandy MIA
Level 2

That screen says ASAP for everything then, even if it's before the deadline.  I agree, this is one of the more idiotic things Lacerte does.  Why in the world would we tell our clients to hold off payment until the extended due date???

0 Cheers