Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Expense reporting on Form 1065 vs Form 8825

sumluck
Level 2

An LLC holds several rental properties, should the state LLC fees and franchise tax expense be allocated among properties on Form 8825? Or report it as ordinary expense on page 1 of Form 1065?  Same question applies to accounting and professional fees for preparing LLC tax return.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

5 Comments 5
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

I've seen it done both ways. Matter of personal preference.

sumluck
Level 2

Thank you for your reply.  Expenses reported on page 1 of 1065 is considered ordinary expense while reporting on Form 8825 is considered as Net rental real estate income/expense.  Ordinary income/expense maybe treated as self-employment income while rental income/expense may not. 

0 Cheers
taxgirlshannon
Level 2

If you are referring to CA franchise tax expense it is not deductible on the state return.  So it is easiest to track by entering directly on the 1065.

sumluck
Level 2

There's an input screen in Lacerte where you can input amount of tax expense for State purpose.  So that's not my concern.  My biggest question is on self-employment income treatment.  For a general manager/partner, ordinary income/expense is considered as Self-employment income on k-1 while net rental real estate income/expense is not.

0 Cheers
Tpollaro
Level 2

Regarding the input screen in Lacerte where you can input amount of tax expense for State purposes vs Federal Form 8825, I don't see that it's picking up the adjustment.  This is related to the Business Alternative pass through tax that is deductible on fed 8825 but not for NJ state partnership rental real estate activities.  Any ideas how to make this work?

0 Cheers