Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Entering Social Security benefits with Federal withholding

Becky-Aurora
Level 1

Please tell me how we can enter social security benefits received in screen 14 but not the withholding tax.  When the w/h is entered in the 1099 screen it requires a E.I.# of Social Security Administration and they don't have one.  Diagnostic prevents e-filing.

Any suggestions - One Lacerte tech told me I needed to paper file but that would involve about 75-100 returns and that can't be right.  Needs a fix!

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

7 Comments 7
itonewbie
Level 15

Intuit has acknowledged that it's a bug and their engineers are working on a fix.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
scheunemanncpa
Level 4

Social security is not on a 1099-misc/nec.  The withholding goes in the tax withheld section in the same screen as where you enter the social security income

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

@scheunemanncpa wrote:

Social security is not on a 1099-misc/nec.  The withholding goes in the tax withheld section in the same screen as where you enter the social security income

@scheunemanncpaThat'll trigger a critical diagnostic if you try to e-file.  That's why others are complaining and what Intuit's engineers are fixing now.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
sjrcpa
Level 15
Becky-Aurora
Level 1

That's how it used to be but when you enter the w/h in the Social Security screen you will get a diagnostic telling you to enter it in the Misc. 1099 screen.  See Intuit note right above where you normally would enter w/h on the S.S. screen

0 Cheers
George4Tacks
Level 15
0 Cheers
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Voluntary federal income tax withheld (SSA-1099/ RRB-1099)

Social Security Benefits Screen 14; Code 38

Enter any federal income tax withheld from an SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 in this field.

NOTE: Do not use the “Federal income tax withheld [A]” field (codes 14 and 64) in this screen to enter SSA-1099 or RRB-1099 withholding any longer.