Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

eFile - 1040X

joneill268
Level 1

I am amending a return for a client that originally self filed electronically.  I am getting a critical diagnostic that the original return must have been e-filed, but since I didn't do it, it won't let me proceed.  Is there a place to override this?  Or something else I can do as a fix?  The client definitely doesn't want to do a paper filing.

0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

8 Comments 8
itonewbie
Level 15

You can't, we were told by Intuit.  That's the limitation with all of Intuit's professional tax products.  In order to e-file a 1040X, the original return must have been previously e-filed with the particular Intuit tax product you are using.  It is evidently not an IRS MeF limitation - I am aware of at least one other competitor's professional tax software that allows the e-filing of 1040X even when the original return was not e-filed with it.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
itonewbie
Level 15

@IntuitAustin @IntuitBettyJo  @IntuitBoris confirmed in the PTO FB group this is still a limitation in spite of the omission of the blurb (which is present in the FAQs for ProSeries) in the FAQs for Lacerte and PTO.  He said he would have the Contents Team update the FAQs but nothing has changed.  Could you please help follow up?  Thanks!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still an AllStar
abctax55
Level 15

@IntuitAustin @IntuitBettyJo  @IntuitBoris

AND, while you are at it - could you please explain the "logic" behind this ????

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
BobKamman
Level 15

And the reason the client doesn't want to file on paper, is .... ?

I think too many practitioners still think that e-filed amended returns are like e-filed original returns, they zip through the system unseen by human eyes.   Reality:  All you gain is a few days before the return is converted to something that an examiner can see on a screen.   

abctax55
Level 15

True... but I just hate dealing with paper anymore (from the chick that initially fought e-filing...😊 )

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
sjrcpa
Level 15

I efiled my first one in October. A refund was due. Despite IRS saying allow 12-16 weeks, the check arrived in 4 weeks. I was shocked. 

That would not happen with a paper 1040X, even in preCOVID times.

Ex-AllStar
BobKamman
Level 15

I paper-filed many 1040-X returns over the last decade.  Some took four weeks, and others took fourteen.  If they pass the initial classification, whether paper or e-file, the adjustment is made quickly to stop the running of interest.  

0 Cheers
itonewbie
Level 15

For clients overseas, it's much easier to e-file than to file on paper.

Still an AllStar