Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-file Reject: Error R0000-058-01

Reject: Error R0000-058-01: An XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file.  Resolution: Please remove the PDF attachment when sending
the extension. If the PDF attachment is needed, please review the PDF attachment sent and make sure the description, filed form attached option, link to form and activity number are correctly entered, and PDF attachment can be viewed.

Need to attach PDF because of foreign forms which are not supported.  Went through the solution multiple times, reduced the sized and re-attached, shorten the name, but can not figure out the "must have a valid reference to an attached file."  Did everything that was suggested to fix but the e-file error remains.  Help?

0 Cheers
11 Comments 11
George4Tacks
Level 15

Are you sending an extension? "Please remove the PDF attachment when sending
the extension."

Here's wishing you many Happy Returns
0 Cheers

Not sending the extension. 

0 Cheers
wvladboz
Level 1

I did not attach a pdf file, I have no clue what they mean by XML that represents a binary document???  What the heck does that mean.   

Also states the IRS "this return cannot be accepted at this time due to an issue that should be fixed on February 24 or after?  

Does this mean I should resend after the 24th?

0 Cheers
JB923
Level 1

I'd like to know the exact same thing.  Been doing taxes for 40 years.  Before Turbo Tax was in existence.  I waited and refiled on Feb 23.  Still received a rejected return.  Now it is saying March 8.  No explanation regarding XML or binary document.  As you stated.  What exactly does that mean?  I called Turbo Tax and the agent was literally reading the same blog I was reading.  Zero help or explanation by their professionals.  I am beyond frustrated.

0 Cheers
Richardm1947
Level 2

MODERATOR, PLEASE RESPOND TO THIS THREAD

...  It's April 2024, and I have the SAME PROBLEM.  THIS THREAD HAS NOT BEEN RESOLVED.

Richardm1947
Level 2

RE:  An XML document that represents a binary attachment must have a valid reference to an attached file.

I DID NOT ATTATCH A PDF...  TURBO DID, BUT I CANNOT EVEN ACCESS "HELP ME FIX IT".... I don't know where it is?

IntuitGabi

Hi @Richardm1947  
According to the thread R0000-058-01 Error - cannot be filed, a resolution to this situation is taking longer than expected and it may not be resolved before the tax filing deadline.  You may need to print and file or remove form 7206. Here's what I found for tax year 2023: 

"In order to proceed and get your return filed in a timely manner, please follow this advice:

1 - If you are required to include Form 7206 as a part of your tax return based on the information above, then you need to print and mail your return.  Electronic filing will not be an option if the reject code persists. 

2 - If you are not required to include Form 7206 as part of your tax return, then you can attempt to delete the Form 7206 and try electronically filing your return once again.  If the form cannot be deleted or you still get the reject code, then you need to print and mail your return. 

Use the steps in the following TurboTax help articles to delete Form 7206:

How do I view and delete forms in TurboTax Online?

How do I delete a tax form in TurboTax Desktop (Windows or Mac)?" 

Press the blue sign in button and select TurboTax Community to join the conversation on R0000-058-01 Error - cannot be filed.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post

**Did this answer your questions? If so, select "Accept as solution".
Richardm1947
Level 2

Thank you for a clear answer.... The refusal of E-file was so generic and confusing.    I did not create an xml file or attach a pdf..... (It was done as a result of 7206.), and no TurboTax rep could figure it out.       No other comment mentioned form7206.  I used the step by step, so had no clue until your informative answer.   This was the first year I   claimed  long term care.   I had not used it before, until I read an article about it..     We've always personally paid it, but never included it with our schedule C.   

Of course, now I have to get all the forms printed, but TurboTax will print the appropriate ones.   I'm Always learning.  Always training.

Thank you again., Make a good day...  Richard M

smantashi
Level 1

I have the same problem. I try to delete form 7206 but it doesn't get deleted.  If I have to mail my taxes then how can I get the state e-file fee back.

0 Cheers
Richardm1947
Level 2

One more addition to my comments...  Since the form 7206 was the cause of the error message and not letting me E-file, the program should NOT have shown "no errors" when I attempted to E-file.   The program should have alerted me that I could not E-file, because of the 7206.  There may be other forms that generate this.  The error message should have been specific.

The generic error message meant nothing to me, (and also to two "experts" I talked to.), as I had not created a pdf.   All they could suggest was to try to E-file again.     Your answer was very specific as to the cause of the error.  I'm printing and submitting the old fashion way.

It would seem that "someone" could insert some code for future years.

There is a reply to my issue about the state charge for e-file....  I have mailed my state form, to save the $25 charge every year, but this person did not...

Again, Thanks for your expertise.

Richardm1947
Level 2

Sorry for your issue. I'm just a taxpayer like you/   I haven't e-filed my state to save that $25 each year.  However, as you can probably see, I asked that the person who answered my question, look at yours.   Take care.

0 Cheers