Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-File error for dependent care expenses

mustup
Level 2

In the 2022 version I'm getting an e-file diagnostic saying 'there must be a credit for child and dependent care expenses on Schedule 3 for efile purposes when a Form 2441 is present in the return.  This return must be filed on paper.'

The client used a dependent care account for $5,000 in child care expenses for their one child which I put in box 10 of the W-2.  I put the appropriate information into the 2441 screen.  There shouldn't be an additional child care credit so nothing on Schedule 3, line 2 is correct.  I don't understand why I can't e-file this return (and all the other ones like it). 

The client had the exact same situation for 2021 with nothing in Schedule 3, line 2 and I had no problem e-filing that. 

25 Comments 25
HarperCPA
Level 1

I am getting the same diagnostic in a return. Hopefully Lacerte corrects this in a future update. When the time comes, I might try to efile it anyways with "efile error" disabled. 

0 Cheers
Tolly
Level 3

I'm getting the same thing. I have a client that had $700 in W-2 box 10. They have no daycare expenses and it gives me the same diagnostic.

0 Cheers
Tolly
Level 3

Harper, let me know what happens if you try to e-file before it gets fixed.

0 Cheers
adibello
Level 1

I am receiving the same error..

0 Cheers
ajtriantos
Level 1

I am getting the same diagnostic and when I try to efile, it gets to the validation screen and says "Error: Diagnostics" and wont let me click the "Send e-file Returns Now" button. I saw a comment somewhere else saying that they were able to efile and it was accepted even with the error. Not sure how you got past the part I am at.

Has anyone talked with Lacerte on this issue?

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

Hi there. Is there a code or number on this diagnostic? A screenshot of your screens would be helpful as well! 
How to use the snippet tool on Windows. 
Thanks for the info! 

0 Cheers
Tolly
Level 3

I'll leave the screen shot to someone else. The error code reads as follows:

"e-file: There must be a credit for child and dependent care expenses on schedule 3 for e-file purposes when a form 2441 is present in the return. This return must be filed on paper. (ref. #58266)

0 Cheers
mustup
Level 2

I called Lacerte about it, but they couldn't really help me because there was no way to get rid of the diagnostic without changing the return to make it incorrect.  I think there is a way to e-file by disabling the error, but I don't know how.  I'm not able to finish this particular return because I'm waiting on some 1099s so haven't looked into it.  I just wanted to figure this out before I got really busy.

0 Cheers
adibello
Level 1

I have the same diagnostic ref# 58226

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

Thanks for the tag. 
Hold off on these returns if you can, we'll get more information on this new diag soon. 

lmcnally
Level 1

Hi there, I am getting the same diagnostic error - any updates on this?

0 Cheers
vgolter
Level 2

"There must be a credit for child and dependent care expenses on schedule 3 for e-file purposes when a form 2441 is present in the return. This return must be filed on paper. (ref. #58266)"

0 Cheers
adibello
Level 1

Any updates on this please?

0 Cheers
IntuitGabi

There will be an update in Tuesday's release that will remove diagnostic ref. #58266
If you're needing to e-file before then, you'll be able to bypass the diagnostic. Thanks! 

KAMEYER
Level 1

I still have the critical for REF#58226.  Was this issue not resolved?

0 Cheers
Intuitjhaze
Intuit Alumni

@IntuitGabi hey! can we get clarification for @KAMEYER and @PaulE1?

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

@Intuitjhaze  ProConnect, which Paul said he uses, is the redheaded stepchild of the Intuit Professional tax software family. It gets the least attention around here.

Ex-AllStar
KAMEYER
Level 1

I am using the Lacerte program

0 Cheers
Intuitjhaze
Intuit Alumni

@sjrcpa Newbie oversight on my part! Thanks for pointing that out. I'll move Paul's post to the appropriate forum.

0 Cheers
sjrcpa
Level 15

Even better if you could get that program some love.

Ex-AllStar
IntuitGabi

@sjrcpa @Intuitjhaze 
Luckily all three product teams are on the same page with removing this error. 
The timing might differ between them but let's hope for this week. 

There's been a report that ProConnect is no longer seeing it 
Waiting on confirmation from ProSeries and Lacerte. 

Thanks all! 

My error from Lacerte disappeared yesterday.

Tolly
Level 3

My error was cleared up on 2/8/22 as well

KAMEYER
Level 1

I will try mine again.

0 Cheers
amh1
Level 1

0 Cheers