Welcome back! Ask questions, get answers, and join our large community of tax professionals.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-File > e-file Support Tools > Clear Return is there a way back?

User FIDO 61
Level 8

Pick your cliché. No, I don't know what I was thinking.

Has anyone Clear Return'd when the client had already been Accepted by both federal and state. And then lived to tell about it? Is it possible for the cleared e-file to be brought back? At a minimum to produce an Acceptance Letter?

I found no mention of the Lacerte e-file Support Tools in Community @IntuitAustin (hindsight: maybe that's to keep us from using them without Support on the phone?) 

Frustration with city Reject return, plus I don't know = paddling up creek with no oars.

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
0 Cheers

This discussion has been locked. No new contributions can be made. You may start a new discussion here

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Aww, that's lousy.

I know there's a bunch of e-file stuff that sticks to returns, no matter what you do. Clone Kid A return, clear e-file, change name / SSN / DOB / W-2 for Kid B? Congrats, you now have a file that appears to have no e-file history, but Lacerte thinks it's been e-filed and won't let you e-file Kid B. So it's entirely possible that something can be salvaged from this, but I don't know how.

If it's any consolation, the Acceptance Letter isn't anything official or required (I print them to PDF to make my status update to Complete, but then ignore them), so not having it is a PR issue, not a regulatory issue. In the past, I've been able to get proof of e-file acceptance from somewhere in my Lacerte account, when I wasn't getting acks downloaded right.

If you don't get a resolution of some sort by Thursday, and still want one, I'd be happy to poke around and see if I can figure something out for you. This time of year is just the worst.

View solution in original post

5 Comments 5
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Aww, that's lousy.

I know there's a bunch of e-file stuff that sticks to returns, no matter what you do. Clone Kid A return, clear e-file, change name / SSN / DOB / W-2 for Kid B? Congrats, you now have a file that appears to have no e-file history, but Lacerte thinks it's been e-filed and won't let you e-file Kid B. So it's entirely possible that something can be salvaged from this, but I don't know how.

If it's any consolation, the Acceptance Letter isn't anything official or required (I print them to PDF to make my status update to Complete, but then ignore them), so not having it is a PR issue, not a regulatory issue. In the past, I've been able to get proof of e-file acceptance from somewhere in my Lacerte account, when I wasn't getting acks downloaded right.

If you don't get a resolution of some sort by Thursday, and still want one, I'd be happy to poke around and see if I can figure something out for you. This time of year is just the worst.

abctax55
Level 15

You can go to *myaccount* and find proof that the return was accepted, but you don't get a nice, clean, & pretty letter.  You have to snoop a bit (let me know if you need help... it took me a bit to find it, for an Illinois NR partnership return that just would NOT update.

Unless your client needs to see that Ack Letter; just print that thingy from *myaccount* showing accepted for your record keeping.

I'm *ass-u-ming* you don't have a backup from after acceptance but before you hit the all-clear button?  I think the acks do follow that backup, as long as not overwritten.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"
User FIDO 61
Level 8

Thanks for the advice & suggestions. Irony of ironies the problem City return (RITA for those also suffering as preparer in Ohio) Accepted when submitted stand-alone vs. being sent with the rest of the pack. Oh, RITA you sly boots!

Again, @PhoebeRoberts @abctax55 thanks for the speedy replies I very much appreciate it.

Edit: holy ⁉️ the e-File Acceptance Letter did print intact! Fed, Ohio & RITA with e-File returns that were mistakenly Clear'd 😲

♫ So if you ask me and I don't tell you
Bet your sweet bottom dollar I lied ♪
PhoebeRoberts
Level 11
Level 11

Woohoo! Glad to hear it worked out!

abctax55
Level 15

Glad I could "help".   Sometimes these issues have a mind of their own; happy to hear all accepted & you can print out clean ack's.

"*******Tax software is no substitute for a professional tax preparer*******
( Generic Comment )"